Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Debian With The Linux x32 ABI

Phoronix: Running Debian With The Linux x32 ABI

Debian packages for using the Linux x32 ABI have begun to surface and it's possible to chroot into a Debian x32 environment, but it's not yet part of the official Debian archive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This should help reduce bandwidth competition on the system ram by about 10 percent. I think intel integrated graphics don't overclock well at all because ddr3 has a tenth the bandwidth of gddr5, AND it has to share with the cpu.. and whenever anyone does ram benchmarks, they use cpu tasks and not gpu tasks. It seems anything over ddr3 1600 is basically a waste for cpu tasks.. but i bet graphics takes everything it can possibly get. If Haswell has a soldered IHS, it should be the best overclocker yet, because you only need a single closed loop water cooler for your whole system.

Comment

Hm? In every test I've seen, AMD APUs scale linearly with memory in graphics, but Ivy Bridge doesn't change at all when given faster memory.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Hm? In every test I've seen, AMD APUs scale linearly with memory in graphics, but Ivy Bridge doesn't change at all when given faster memory.
        I would love to see those tests, could you link me?

Edit: found them. hexus needs to work on their SEO ;p
        Last edited by ethana2; 05 December 2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Weird that Archlinux wasn't mentioned, being as AUR has a bunch of x32 packages and if i remember correctly, Arch has x32 enabled in the default kernel, as well. (even though Archlinux doesn't 'officially' package and support x32 - there are still people using it, for sure).

...and in Archlinux' case 'packages haven't just begun to surface' - they have been flowing in for quite a while, with AUR having well over 100 packages with x32 support;

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Translation: Intel is fast enough where memory is not a major system bottleneck. Theres a reason why Intel didn't officially support memory faster then 1333MHz for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
              Translation: Intel is fast enough where memory is not a major system bottleneck. Theres a reason why Intel didn't officially support memory faster then 1333MHz for a while.
              Shouldn't that be slow enough? If it were fast, memory would be a bottleneck.

Comment

Working...
              X