No announcement yet.

KDE 4.10 Beta 2 Brings Further Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a regression: Oxygen window decoration is much slower, causes plasma animations to stutter if they happen while a window is transitioning from focused > unfocused. Tested with other decorations, and they don't cause it. Also tested different plasma themes and they don't have any bearing on it. It's definitely the Oxygen decoration doing it (or part of it).

I guess I'll report it later after I've had my nap.

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Translation: "For the Nth consecutive release our ever declining contributor party brings you fewer new features with an increasing disinterest in fixing even longer standing bugs. On our road to complete failure we will not hesitate to talk about how we added EXTRA PERFORMANCE despite the fact we managed to create the most taxing software behemoth out there. And by the way QtQuick is soooo ?berkool that we involuntarily mention it 500 times in press releases despite the fact that it is just a piece of open core bu$ine$$ shit pulled out of Digias ass. Enjoy!"
    Do you camp phoronix for KDE threads or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
      I am one of those users still not running a composition manager, as it slows down window resizing even on quite powerful hardware (granted, I have a really high-res monitor setup), which bothers me.
      I'm using ivy bridge and with opengl compositing, raster graphics system, opengl2 shaders and even vsync and the animation speed set to very fast the window management is actually really flawless (I even use slightly wobbly windows). But then I use the "outline" effect for resizing.

Comment

KWin

KWin used to be so buggy and would crash on me. But these last few releases have turned KWin into the best and most stable window manager. KDE has really gotten better since the 4.3!
        I have Arch with KDE on an HP touchsmart from 2008. KDE is actually kinda quick and uses up ~500 mb of ram for me. I'm very pleased and excited for the 4.10 release.

Comment

Is there still tearing near the top of the screen when watching fullscreen video on ivybridge? as far as I'm concerned kde is unusable for me until this is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
            Is there still tearing near the top of the screen when watching fullscreen video on ivybridge? as far as I'm concerned kde is unusable for me until this is fixed.
            Really? Watching movies in full screen is all you use KDE for?

I'm sad kubuntu won't get 4.10 until a RC is released :-(

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Really? Watching movies in full screen is all you use KDE for?

I'm sad kubuntu won't get 4.10 until a RC is released :-(
              Yes. Obviously I'd use it for more than that, but I do use my laptop for videos often, and fullscreen video tearing is one of those things that is on my "dealbreaker" list. Gnome-shell has pretty much the same bug, but at least there's a workaround for it (adding CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling to /etc/environment). Compiz doesn't give me any tearing issues at all (in ubuntu 12.10. In 12.04 I see this bug but it can be worked around with a simple compizconfig settings change). I've seen no workaround for this issue in kwin so I'd be stuck waiting for it to be fixed in an update.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                It's mixed. Usually not I think. I use (s)mplayer with vaapi or vlc and when you move the mouse over the fullscreen playback there sometimes is tearing while the controls are displayed and composited (I think). And I think it's flash video that still doesn't properly sync. But I have not set the intel tearfree option in xorg.conf / xorg.conf.d/* that supposedly exists.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                  our ever declining contributor party
                  Right, because of course one person leaving and being replaced with someone new (net change=0) is the same as "ever declining".

Comment

Originally posted by cardboard View Post
                    Do you camp phoronix for KDE threads or something?
                    Yes, KDE and Qt threads. He's really morbid, i guess that he has something personal with some KDE developer (women, money... don't know), or simply he has nothing better to do all the day... he is in EVERY KDE and Qt thread.

Comment

However, the amoung of long-standing bugs even in their core-components like the task-panel drove me to XFCE.
                      And that was somehow easier than just switching to a different tasks applet? There are plenty of alternatives.

The C++ based Plasma applets are no longer in development. All Plasma applets are being rewritten in QML. According to http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KD...#kde-workspace the QML port of Tasks is not done, yet.

Another issue is the amount of software developed under the KDE umbrella, KPack being a noteable example which is basically unmaintained for years (and buggy as hell).
                      According to DDG KPack is a PHP framework that has nothing to do with KDE and as far as I can tell there never was a KDE application with that name. There was KPackage which was deleted from KDE before 4.4 and there was KPackageKit which was renamed Apper.

Comment

Working...
                      X