Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PengPod Linux Tablet Is Becoming A Reality

Phoronix: The PengPod Linux Tablet Is Becoming A Reality

The PengPod tablet, which allows for dual-booting Google's Android and Ubuntu/Linaro on an ARM-based tablet, is becoming a reality after it was successfully crowd-funded...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: The PengPod Linux Tablet Is Becoming A Reality

The PengPod tablet, which allows for dual-booting Google's Android and Ubuntu/Linaro on an ARM-based tablet, is becoming a reality after it was successfully crowd-funded...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI0MjU
    My god, they're just reselling $25 and $50 china tablets.
    BTW: Allwinner did NOT fulfill the GPL obligations. SOMEBODY WORKING FOR ALLWINNER LEAKED THE KERNEL SOURCE!!!!

Comment

Not sure if that's really what happen, some stuff was leaked yes, but Allwinner is in bed with rhombus-tech, who are also working with chinese manufactures to get GPL hardware out.

Also, the SoC manual was leaked, and thus this is the most well documented and open SoC available yet.

Granted there's still bits and pieces missing or in horrible state, but at the moment, I think the A10 is one of the most open SoC's yet, albeit not intentional.

Comment

How open is Allwinner in compariosn with Tegra 3 overall? GPU drivers are still closed, and what else? Nexus 7 sounds like a better deal in general, since Nvidia is serious about Linux support now. Mer / PlasmaActive images for Nexus 7 will probably appear sometime soon.

Comment

He said "Unity requires acceleration I think. I did try to pull it from the repos but it would not run." in video comments, so.. there is no OpenGL ES 2 acceleration? Really?

Comment

I think Mali 400 should have closed accelerated drivers available.

Comment

the SoC manual was leaked, and thus this is the most well documented and open SoC available yet.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                How open is Allwinner in compariosn with Tegra 3 overall? GPU drivers are still closed, and what else? Nexus 7 sounds like a better deal in general, since Nvidia is serious about Linux support now. Mer / PlasmaActive images for Nexus 7 will probably appear sometime soon.
                FAR more open.

I'm sure many people drewl over the tegra's 3 specs, yes it's a nice and powerfull SoC. But don't expect miracles. I'm still not convinced of nVidia's newly discovered enlightenment. My money is on the fact, they are doing what is minimally required to make the linux crowd happy so they can sell more SoC's. 3D core? Doubt that will ever happen. Video core? Does it even have one? I guess the 3D core takes care of that. So very unliky that'll happen.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Tegra3 is crap, its just cortex A9's and a bunch of anti-linux nvidia crap.
                  Nvidia is NOT "serious" about linux support at all. FAR FROM IT. They're doing the absolute BARE MINIMUM to fool suckers into believing that they are. That's all.

Qualcomm Snapdragon is at least as open as allwinner, and all from INTENTIONAL information releases (partly from AMD RADEON documentation, since Adreno is, more or less, Radeon). They're also a much more powerful component, being KRAIT/~cortexA15.

Comment

AMD bought ATI and INTEL is also serious in develop their iGPU hardware....in the long run, discrete video cards will have a worse fate than the one of dinosaurs.

So what can NVIDIA do ?
                    Embrace ARM CPU tech and stuck inside of it a iGPU (with all their expertise they can pull off a very good piece of hardware) and the APU war will have 3 sides (INTEL, AMD and NVIDIA)

ANYWAY....all that is not trully important to me right now....

RIGHT NOW what i would love to have is that some darn OEM would made a MINI-ITX MoBo with a TEGRA3 (and in the future, TEGRA4) or Exynos5 CPU (actually is an APU) with a bunch of USB, VGA (YES, we STILL need them !), HDMI , Audio, eSata, etc. connectors where usually they are in a MINI-ITX MoBo, some extra connectors in the mobo for SATA, front audio , USB, eSata, etc. and at least one DDR3 DIMM or SO-DIMM connector so we can use standard RAM modules.

Finish it with a standard ATX PSU 24pin connector and the ARM CPU/APU in a module that could be connected/upgraded to the MoBo in a similar way than a AMD FM1/FM2 socket APU and i would be in heaven after sticking all this in a totally fanless MINI-ITX or Thin MINI-ITX case with buildin AC/DC converter of 60W or even less ....

BUT NOOOOO....they have to waste their time with freaking tablets with microscopic keyboards, (touch)screens,etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X