Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nokia's Buying Out Trolltech ASA

Phoronix: Nokia's Buying Out Trolltech ASA

Trolltech and Nokia have jointly announced this morning that Trolltech ASA, the maker of Qt, will be acquired by this leading mobile phone maker. Nokia is after Trolltech for accelerating to accelerate its cross-platform software strategy for mobile devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The main problem of QT, however, is its dual license: it is not possible to produce QT software incompatible with the GPL without paying Trolltech (unless I missed something ...). As a result, most commercial companies chose to support GTK instead. Nokia has said they intend to continue to dual license as before, creating an even bigger problem for third parties (Trolltech was a small independent company, while Nokia is huge and competes with a lot of folks).

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
      The main problem of QT, however, is its dual license: it is not possible to produce QT software incompatible with the GPL without paying Trolltech (unless I missed something ...).
      If you intend to earn money by selling closed source using Qt,
      then Trolltech wants a small share. In return you also get support,
      and if coded properly, a source base which runs on 3 platforms, maybe more.
      I don't see any problems here.

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
        The main problem of QT, however, is its dual license: it is not possible to produce QT software incompatible with the GPL without paying Trolltech (unless I missed something ...). As a result, most commercial companies chose to support GTK instead. Nokia has said they intend to continue to dual license as before, creating an even bigger problem for third parties (Trolltech was a small independent company, while Nokia is huge and competes with a lot of folks).
        That is not completely true.
        You are only forced to pay for QT if you want to use a closed source license, but you may use an incompatible license from the official list (like BSD) and you may also use it commercially.

I don't think, that a lot of companies prefer GTK+ over QT (if they do at all) because they don't have to pay for a license.
        Actually I would rather think, that companies prefer QT because of it's excellent Windows support.

BTW, if Nokia decides, that they won't release QT under an Open Source license anymore, then the KDE people can release the last GPL version under a BSD license.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
          That is not completely true.
          BTW, if Nokia decides, that they won't release QT under an Open Source license anymore, then the KDE people can release the last GPL version under a BSD license.
          FreeQt foundation was created when Qt was licensed under Qt license. Now, when Qt is licensed under GPLv2 & v3, it is likely that even if Trolltech stops releasing Qt Open source edition KDE people can still develop Qt under GPL without releasing it under BSD.

Comment

i think commercial qt licence is/was 1000$ . that's dirt-cheap for any software company. commercial version provides additional sql modules (e.g. oracle) and some extra tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              FreeQt foundation was created when Qt was licensed under Qt license. Now, when Qt is licensed under GPLv2 & v3, it is likely that even if Trolltech stops releasing Qt Open source edition KDE people can still develop Qt under GPL without releasing it under BSD.
              The biggest problem with that is that there's issues with GPL licensed commercial software. There's still a lot of people out there that think that they have to be proprietary- which is something they're entitled to. If the stuff that's available is GPL only, then there's no good past KDE that will come of it. Honest. Now, if they licensed it under the proposed BSD license, one could relicense it under the LGPL, if you get where I am going with that- then you'd have the best of all worlds at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                i think commercial qt licence is/was 1000$ . that's dirt-cheap for any software company. commercial version provides additional sql modules (e.g. oracle) and some extra tools.
                Depends on the size of that company. $1-1.5k can buy a whole new dev machine, pay for a week's salary, etc. Someone Dell or Intuit, etc. it'd be chicken feed. For a small shop or one-man show, it's quite a bit of cash that could be applied to other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Maybe, but when they can release it under BSD they can virtually release it under any license.
                  I think, that would be LGPL.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                    Maybe, but when they can release it under BSD they can virtually release it under any license.
                    I think, that would be LGPL.
                    They would have to officially release it under BSD to comply with the terms of the foundation rights grant- from there you'd find that they'd also release it immediately afterward under an LGPL grant most likely.

But to comply with the terms of what Trolltech established, for it to be completely legal from start to finish, it would have to visit being licensed under BSD first. Copyright law's a funny beast as is Patent law.

Comment

Working...
                    X