Thread: QEMU 1.3.0 Picks Up Many New Features

Default QEMU 1.3.0 Picks Up Many New Features

Phoronix: QEMU 1.3.0 Picks Up Many New Features

QEMU 1.3.0 was released on Monday afternoon and supports a large number of new features for this open-source package that's common to the Linux virtualization stack...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI0MTg

Default Get faster

I hope it gets faster.

I run the Android emulator to emulate ARM on my x86 computer.
    It is slow as shit.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I hope it gets faster.

I run the Android emulator to emulate ARM on my x86 computer.
    It is slow as shit.
    yea, performance is where qemu falls behind compared to pretty much every other vm out there. i find that weird because xen is qemu based and its one of the fastest.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    yea, performance is where qemu falls behind compared to pretty much every other vm out there. i find that weird because xen is qemu based and its one of the fastest.
    I don,'t have performance problems with qemu (using kvm), but uid313 talks about emulating an ARM machine on an x86 or amd64 host, which necessarily adds the overhead of JIT-compiling ARM machine code to x86/amd64 machine code.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I assume you're talking about para-virtualized qemu and not qemu-kvm, right?

Yeah exactly. Qemu is only part of a balanced breakfast. It can do full CPU emulation, but that will always be slow.

These are really awesome updates, and I'm glad to see it improving. I've been using KVM a lot in the lab recently, and it's been working really well.