Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11 Released For Linux

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11 Released For Linux

AMD has released yet another beta Linux beta driver for the Catalyst 12.11 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, do you know anything about compatibility between intel drivers and catalyst? It is very important for laptop owners with hybrid graphics. Currently catalyst doesn't support intel>=2.20.3. In the mean time official stable driver from the intel web site is 2.20.12. Also catalyst doesn't work properly with Mesa>9.0. It would be good if somebody would shed light on it.

Also there is a work to bring bumblebee to AMD hybrid graphics. But according to this thread, there is a problem with fglrx. I guess it somehow relates to the first part of my message.

Comment

Linux changes:

- Resolves stability issues found in the previous AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta8 driver for Linux
      - For users experiencing issues with HDMI Audio under Ubuntu 12.04, users should try installing the "dkms-hda - 0.201211291615~precise1" package from https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-a...aily/+packages and reboot; this will resolve the HDMI Audio issue found in Ubuntu 12.04

Comment

Steam

This release fixed the beta8 steam problem.

Comment

I recently noticed that my battery life on my notebook effectively halved. from over 6 hours to about 3.5 hours. I then now say that with beta6 they apparently fixed a power management bug introduced in 12.10 affecting some configurations. So, I'm gonna try beta11 and see if it made any difference?

The odd thing was the notebook didn't seem any warmer than usual. If gpu powermanagement is broken, shouldn't it run notably hotter than usual?

Comment

Ok, after trying beta11, my battery life seems much better already :-)
            It now looks like about 5.5 hours, which is close enough to my original idea of where battery life is :-)

Comment

And not yet new release for amd catalyst legacy 12.6, please amd ...

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                And not yet new release for amd catalyst legacy 12.6, please amd ...
                If AMD will push next legacy drivers I think that these drivers will be base on some stable version of standard drivers (when Steam and some games from them will be working properly). Currently as You can see a standard version is in beta phase. I hope that we'll see a new legacy drivers in Q1 2013.

Comment

I get _drastic_ performance improvements in Team Fortress 2 with a AMD Radeon HD 6870 compared to the initial 12.11 beta. AntiAliasing performance however is still bad (not sure if it's a driver issue or TF2).

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    I get _drastic_ performance improvements in Team Fortress 2 with a AMD Radeon HD 6870 compared to the initial 12.11 beta. AntiAliasing performance however is still bad (not sure if it's a driver issue or TF2).
                    This is very good prognostic for next Catalyst versions. It looks like a Steam may really improve graphic drivers state on Linux. I'll install this Catalyst version tomorrow and share some results from my HD6670.

Comment

Working...
                    X