AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11 Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Not sure if we're saying "here are the combinations of distro & intel driver we tested with, start with one of those if you have problems" but that seems like something which would help.
    Unfortunately, AMD doesn't provide this information. And you're right, it should, because now the only way to find working combination is trial and error method!

I think, more important is that the way fglrx works now doesn't allow independent developers to make something like bumblebee, because fglrx works directly with intel driver by means of dirty hacks (not surprising that why Chris Wilson doesn't want to do anything with intel driver in order to keep compatibility with fglrx).
    For example, even if I don't use discrete card, fglrx is still loaded. That's why if something is wrong with it, I can't even use intel driver. (Usually it means segfault of Xserver).
    And finally, there is no other choice for >=HD77XXM users since radeonsi isn't mature enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakot View Post
      I think, more important is that the way fglrx works now doesn't allow independent developers to make something like bumblebee, because fglrx works directly with intel driver by means of dirty hacks (not surprising that why Chris Wilson doesn't want to do anything with intel driver in order to keep compatibility with fglrx).
      Are you talking about a specific change to fglrx, or just "making it all open source" ?

There might be a disconnect here -- I know we worked closely with Intel on making all this work. Maybe that didn't happen for Linux ?
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Are you talking about a specific change to fglrx, or just "making it all open source" ?
        I just want it to work. I understand why AMD cannot open it and I'm not blaming on it since the company already has put a lot of effort in radeon development. What I don't understand is what is preventing to publish release notes and software compatibility list?! AMD did it before but for some reasons stopped doing so some time ago. Did you guys just fire the last person doing it?

There might be a disconnect here -- I know we worked closely with Intel on making all this work. Maybe that didn't happen for Linux ?
        I don't know. According to Chris Wilson's reaction not really.

Is there any catalyst developer in the forum?
        There a lot of questions I'd like to ask: when will driver be fixed, is there any plans to make seamless support (bumblebee, primus or DMA-BUF) etc.
        How can I and other people ask these and other questions to catalyst developers? Bug tracker at this point doesn't work (a lot of open bugs without even responses).

Anyway thank you for your responses.

Comment

How can I and other people ask these and other questions to catalyst developers? Bug tracker at this point doesn't work (a lot of open bugs without even responses).
          The Catalyst developers do respond on the bug tracker as time permits, but when the answer is just "yeah, we know, it's on the list but we don't know when we'll be able to get to it" or "there isn't anything like enough information here for me to quickly reproduce the problem" I think they would rather spend time working on the driver instead. Don't think there are any Catalyst developers on the forums...
          Test signature

Comment

Unfortunately, AMD doesn't provide this information.
            Known working combination for Enduro is Ubuntu 12.04 and Catalyst 12.10 (and probably Catalyst 12.11).

Comment

Working...
            X