No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11 Released For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally i can play team fortress 2 on my HD 7750. but i hope more improvements are coming too.
    btw. is anyone able to select something different then 2 speaker setup, like 5.1 or 7.1, using the hdmi out from the amd card?
    would like to play it over my tv using my 7.1 receiver :/.

Comment

@richi902: Multi Channel PCM or bitstreaming of DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD are not supported by the Linux driver.
      This is especially annoying for people who have build an HTPC under linux using an AMD video card...

Comment

[QUOTE=Rakot;299824]Michael, do you know anything about compatibility between intel drivers and catalyst? It is very important for laptop owners with hybrid graphics. Currently catalyst doesn't support intel>=2.20.3. In the mean time official stable driver from the intel web site is 2.20.12. Also catalyst doesn't work properly with Mesa>9.0. It would be good if somebody would shed light on it.

I second your remark as I suffer from the exact same problem.
        I have a 3820TG (radeon 6550M + Intel HD combo), and fglrx refuses to play nicely with the Intel driver.
        I raised this both to AMD :http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=634
        and Chris Wilson (Intel driver dev) : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56494
        without success so far.
        Chris Wilson said : "There is nothing I can do about this since fglrx plays tricks with the intel hardware without knowledge of the driver."
        AMD didn't reply at all. Sad situation, because it seems to affect quite a lot of people...

my 2 cents...
        Seb.

Comment

I'm not impressed with this driver. On a Radeon 7950 at 2560x1440 TF2 gets 30 fps and is really laggy with all settings maxed, 8x anisotropic filtering and motion blur or 4x MSAA. Either combination on the 12.10 driver gets 100-300 fps with occasional drops to 75 fps when there are a lot of people around. This is on openSUSE 12.2, KDE and compositing is disabled. I used the same server and same map also.

Comment

Maybe change hl2linux to hl3linux in the xml file in /etc/ati and try again. With a backup you can easyly revert or just replace it back.

Comment

Originally posted by sfievet View Post
              I second your remark as I suffer from the exact same problem.
              Chris Wilson said : "There is nothing I can do about this since fglrx plays tricks with the intel hardware without knowledge of the driver."
              AMD didn't reply at all. Sad situation, because it seems to affect quite a lot of people...
              Seb.
              They just don't care. Once we've paid our money, AMD isn't interested in us. Sad but true. fglrx+intel compatibility has been broken for me since catalyst 11.8.
              There is at least 3 bug reports in AMD's unofficial bugzilla.

So every time they release new driver, I spend the whole day on trying to find working combination of Mesa and intel driver.
              Sometimes I even have some kernel oops.

Is there any catalyst developer around?
              Or can Bridgman tell what to do in that situation? The bug reports are there, but no reaction, no release notes.

Comment

I didn't think we supported switchable graphics under Linux; we've always told OEMs to include a BIOS switch for "discrete" or "integrated". On muxless systems the choice is usually "switchable" or "whichever GPU has the display connectors, usually integrated".

I'll ask to see if anything has changed but AFAIK "true" switchable graphics was always "windows only". I think we default to integrated only on AMD+AMD muxless and rely on the BIOS switch for AMD+Intel muxless.
                Last edited by bridgman; 06 December 2012, 11:03 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

In this beta 11 Catalyst 12.11 in my Mageia 2 x64 the web brower Google Chrome 23 work good on Flash In the other driver is still laggy. In now I don't must use prefix "--blacklist-accelerated-compositing"

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I didn't think we supported switchable graphics under Linux; we've always told OEMs to include a BIOS switch for "discrete" or "integrated". On muxless systems the choice is usually "switchable" or "whichever GPU has the display connectors, usually integrated".

I'll ask to see if anything has changed but AFAIK "true" switchable graphics was always "windows only". I think we default to integrated only on AMD+AMD muxless and rely on the BIOS switch for AMD+Intel muxless.
                    In essence, AMD does support Enduro under linux, link :
                    AMD Enduro? technology requires either an AMD ?A? series or ?E? series APU or an Intel processor, plus an AMD Radeon? HD 7000M series discrete graphics configuration and is available on Windows? 7 Professional, Windows? 7 Ultimate, Windows? 7 Home Premium, and/or Windows? 7 Home Basic OS. Linux OS supports manual switching which requires restart of X-Server to switch between graphics solutions. Not all AMD Radeon? HD 7000M series GPU features and capabilities may be supported on all AMD Enduro? technology-enabled components or systems ? always check with your component or system manufacturer for specific mode capabilities and supported technologies
                    I wouldn't blame AMD if the company didn't state it and didn't really support. In that case I wouldn't just buy a laptop with AMD video card. But in a case when you state something and don't do it...

Also the way fglrx works with intel driver is somewhat ugly. There are some scripts which change links to libgl.so and driver. Some changes in Mesa or in intel break compatibility with driver.
                    As far as I know there were at least two such changes in the past: the change withing intel driver and rename of Mesa's libgl.so.1.2 to libgl.so.1.2.0.
                    That's why we (owners of laptops with switchable graphics) must know the compatibility between fglrx versions and the rest of graphics stack (intel driver, Mesa, X server, kernel etc).
                    I think even bumblebee's way is better. I'm just curious, why didn't fglrx folks support switchable graphics withing bumblebee or primus?

PS.
                    Bridgman, I don't blame on you. You've been doing great work, I just don't understand why such a big company isn't responsible for its own words.
                    Could you tell us where can we find the information about plans of AMD to support switchable graphics?

Comment

Interesting, looks like fglrx is starting to pick up support. I'm pretty far away from that these days (focusing on HSA) but it's good to see. Not sure if we're saying "here are the combinations of distro & intel driver we tested with, start with one of those if you have problems" but that seems like something which would help.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X