ATI drivers fubar, always

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI drivers fubar, always

In April last year, I posted the following messaqe summarising my unsatisfactory experiences with ATI over a number of years:
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2365.

Well, I thought, nearly another year has passed and perhaps it's time to try again. Just maybe things have reached a point where ATI can provide a working driver for the graphics card in my notebook. After all, the notebook is now 2.5 years old and my previous PC with an ATI card was replaced some years ago.

A bit of research about fedora installation tells me to use yum and livna, after which ...

... telinit 5 leaves me with a blank screen. Ctrl-alt-F8, Ctrl-alt-F7 fixes that, but it's hardly a long term solution ...

... and the resolution is wrong for my screen - nothing I try will give me working 1400x1050.

ATI, possibly the most pathetic story in the history of driver development.

It can't be that hard, can it, to produce drivers which work? Nvidia have been doing it for years.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, relent.
    But, having said that, what good does it do to 'pour oil on the fire' so to speak? What result were you trying to achieve with your post? Warn people away from ATI? Too late, they are already there if they read this ;-)
    ATI isn't the ATI anymore that you knew 2.5 years ago. They were taken over by AMD and are doing their utmost, in recent days, to catch up with driver development, which they are doing. They know the current situation sucks.
    Your posting falls a little short of being motivational for them, so to counterbalance that I would like to say
    "Keep up the good work, ATI/AMD ... you're getting things done so I'll hang in there!"
    Last edited by Swoopy; 28 January 2008, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swoopy View Post
      ATI isn't the ATI anymore that you knew 2.5 years ago. They were taken over by AMD and are doing their utmost, in recent days, to catch up with driver development, which they are doing. They know the current situation sucks.
      So all their utmost can achieve is a driver that locks up the machine hard as soon as X starts?

Comment

Apparently. Some cynicism and impatience with fglrx is deserved, yes.
        But the current crowd of driver developers doesn't deserve all of that, is the point I was trying to make.
        I said they were trying to catch up, which is not the same as putting their utmost in the drivers that were released to date.

Comment

Working...
        X