Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM/Clang vs. GCC On The ARM Cortex-A15 Preview

Phoronix: LLVM/Clang vs. GCC On The ARM Cortex-A15 Preview

The latest ARM Cortex-A15 benchmarks on Phoronix is an extension of the earlier compiler testing from this modern ARM CPU found on the Samsung Exynos 5 Dual within the Samsung Chromebook. In this round of performance testing, the LLVM/Clang compiler performance is compared to recent releases of the GNU Compiler Collection on this latest-generation ARM hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Boring...

GCC is still years ahead of llvm and there's no chance llvm will ever be on pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      GCC is still years ahead of llvm and there's no chance llvm will ever be on pair.
      LLVM had some heavy work done for arm in 3.1 and 3.2 ... not benchmarking those as well makes this comparison sort of hollow. I mean really 3.0 is nearly 2 releases old at this poit as 3.2 has been branched for release all the way back on November 12th.

Comment

cray

Cray is silly benchmark, but it did improve in gcc 4.8 due to inlining of raysphere http://gcc.opensuse.org/c++bench-frescobaldi/c-ray/
        I wonder why this is not seen here. What are the flags used?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          no matter what happens in terms of fast or slow executables, compiling time, e.t.c.
          gcc will always be the first choice for everybody because you can even compile something to run on a toaster.

The only thing I want from gcc is a better error/warning recognizing and printing system(put also some colors in there too )

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
            no matter what happens in terms of fast or slow executables, compiling time, e.t.c.
            gcc will always be the first choice for everybody because you can even compile something to run on a toaster.

The only thing I want from gcc is a better error/warning recognizing and printing system(put also some colors in there too )
            Coming from a Windows world, I've used GCC ONCE, and found it horribly deficient; very little capacity for debugging (compared to MSVC at least). LLVM looks substantially better in that regard, and between 30 seconds of extra compile time and several thousand man-hours saved in debugging due to decent tools, the toolchain will win every time.

I'd really be interested in what the numbers look like once OpenMP is officially supported. Heck, I'd love to see a comparison with OpenMP disabled in GCC, just to get a decent comparison for how much OpenMP is helping GCC.

Comment

Working...
            X