Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    Wow this thread is a mess. KDE would be dead without Martin's work over the past years, yet he gets hate for a blog post about changing screen resolutions within games.
    You are wrong in that regard i think. Allthough i love the qt apps that are within the KDE sc i never ever use their plasma crap. Plasma is and has always been for non-me interfaces. If someone likes it, fine. but that does not make killing kicker obsolete. I think razor-qt and Trinitiy (wich has the most helpful community i have ever seen) has done good work, and i prefer their panels to the entire plasma desktop anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      Yay. A POWER USER feature to toggle everytime you need a batman kapaaauw. Repetitive micro management of nonsense anti-features is one of the most universal psychological evidence when someone is f***ed in the head. Hoarding, procrastination, CDO(the way it is meant to be) and pathological KDE configurism is all alike. Good sleep, fatty acids, vegetables, exercise and a sane compositing desktop with the ability to non-compositing/unredirect screens/windows is the only cure.
      Is something wrong with you? I've only ever seen you rant and rave like a lunatic. KDE works great for me (and many others) and that's all that matters.
      Last edited by ElderSnake; 30 November 2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Yes, what is important is that stuff WORKS.

It is also important that stuff works without me having to do anything. I am a noob... or ... what you guys apparently like to call "power user"? Someone who simply use the OS without knowing what is happening under the hood? Yes, that is me.

In that retrospect: Neither do I want to push any hotkeys to turn off compositing managers, or fiddle with some special settings somewhere to make it happen...

All I want to do is:

1. Install OS
        2. Install gfx drivers
        3. Install game
        4. Run game and have fun

I don't want to think about Kwin, Mutter, Compiz... whatever is running... I just want my OS to WORK and also work efficiently ofc.

Oh, and of course, if it looks ghastly and disgusting, then I will install something else, which is why I run Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu

I have forgotten why I wrote this post. Do I have a point? I don't think I do ...

Comment

I think your point is that everyone is different

On Linux, those of us who want to turn every knob to tweak can be satisfied, and those who don't also have options. It's the great thing about it. Not "one size fits all" type of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
            Same for MS Windows
            Nope, I can do that on any game on Windows whereas the only game where I can do this on GNU/Linux is Red Eclipse. Now, I'm playing windowed, it's OK since I have a large screen... this also lets me see time and stuff.

Comment

Games that use SDL input will respond to Alt-Enter to make the program windowed and then Crtl-G to release the mouse lock.

EDIT: Unity Engine games also seem to respond to Alt-Tab.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahrizai View Post
                Yes, what is important is that stuff WORKS.

It is also important that stuff works without me having to do anything. I am a noob... or ... what you guys apparently like to call "power user"? Someone who simply use the OS without knowing what is happening under the hood? Yes, that is me.

In that retrospect: Neither do I want to push any hotkeys to turn off compositing managers, or fiddle with some special settings somewhere to make it happen...
                YES! Totally agree. Configurism is a mental disorder probaly caused by fear of not be considered smart. Im a well seasoned linux user from the times were there was no alternative to configurism. And what a load of waste. Sure it looked very cool when guys did a lot of terminal stuff with blazing fast key strokes but it really wasnt. It was stupid, ineffective and a waste of neuron activity.

Power users suffers from continued configurism. They cant leave the old trade because of fear. They really should shower more often and go meet girls.

Comment

So basically in funkSTAR's world all ability to configure and utilize the power of Linux would be gone and replaced with Apple-like locked down interfaces. Either that or trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    How is it humanly possible for a user to not have OpenGL support? Is there any sort of video chip in existence these days that can't do 3D?
                    Probably already answered by sadly yes.
                    a) chips that do not really support lots of OGL.
                    b) driver issue

My main DE is KDE and I am quite happy with it (not perfectly though). I used it on VIA chips (definitely no OGL support) but also on AMD-ATI HD 3870 and now on a HD 5670 and it's fine. Effects are fine and I am playing supertuxkart 0.7.3, Aquaria and Rochard (from the Humbles, aaaaaawesome games!) and it works like a charm. So KDE doesn't seem to hamper my gaming (full screen or windowed) and I could still have it on older or badly supported chips.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                      So basically in funkSTAR's world all ability to configure and utilize the power of Linux would be gone and replaced with Apple-like locked down interfaces. Either that or trolling.
                      No one is talking about locking down. We are talking about dont configuring shit that really shouldnt be touched. Not because it fotbidden but because it is stupid and waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                      X