Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why KDE Is Great For Gaming On The Linux Desktop

Hybrid View

Default Why KDE Is Great For Gaming On The Linux Desktop

Phoronix: Why KDE Is Great For Gaming On The Linux Desktop

Martin Grlin, the well known KWin developer, has written a new blog post explaining why if you're wanting to play Valve's Source Engine games or the other new native Linux games you should be using KDE Plasma...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzOTI

Right. The same guy who doesn't give a shit about the need of games to be able to set their own resolution now claims KDE is great for gaming. Is this a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Is this a joke?
    Let me translate for you. "Good news guys. Our compositoring code path suck so much that we need to promote non-compositoring. We'll just add yet another switch for you POWER user to adapt to (and waste time toggling). Sure it will add complexity but you will look sooo cool and 1337 in front of the next door geek when beeing a Kool Kid in KDE. BTW we just pushed alot of complexity down to themes and such, but those guys can sure handle it. Neeeeevermind that KDE is loosing manpower like USA is loosing money. Sure Kwin has a million bugs to fix, is dumb as hell when apps request screen resolution changes and is keept unmaintainable just because it need to support soon to be obsolete code paths. But do you know what!? YOU GOT THE BRAGGING RIGHTS BECAUSE YOU USE A WM WHICH MADE IT TO THE FRONTPAGE OF PHORONIX." Thumbs up power user!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Let me translate for you. "Good news guys. Our compositoring code path suck so much that we need to promote non-compositoring. We'll just add yet another switch for you POWER user to adapt to (and waste time toggling). Sure it will add complexity but you will look sooo cool and 1337 in front of the next door geek when beeing a Kool Kid in KDE. BTW we just pushed alot of complexity down to themes and such, but those guys can sure handle it. Neeeeevermind that KDE is loosing manpower like USA is loosing money. Sure Kwin has a million bugs to fix, is dumb as hell when apps request screen resolution changes and is keept unmaintainable just because it need to support soon to be obsolete code paths. But do you know what!? YOU GOT THE BRAGGING RIGHTS BECAUSE YOU USE A WM WHICH MADE IT TO THE FRONTPAGE OF PHORONIX." Thumbs up power user!!!!!
    So, let me know which incredible DE/compositor are you using...

Quote Originally Posted by gcala View Post
    So, let me know which incredible DE/compositor are you using...
    One sane enough to avoid keeping shitty code paths belonging to the last millenium on life support. How about you?

One sane enough to avoid keeping shitty code paths belonging to the last millenium on life support. How about you?
    Why don't you have the courage to tell its name?

Ohh you mean the one that created entirely new shitty code paths to make a tear-free experience absolutely impossible for all downstream shells?

Let me translate for you.
    Let me clarify for people like you who don't use kwin and thus don't know anything about its compositing.

"Good news guys. Our compositoring code path suck so much that we need to promote non-compositoring.
    With intel ivy bridge drivers the compositing works incredibly well. When I play a fullscreen game on one monitor I have good performance even though the other monitor is still composited. There is one occassion when it gets horribly laggy: When there is an overlay like notifications or the volume indicator when changing the volume, i.e. when the fullscreen game is composited.

We'll just add yet another switch for you POWER user to adapt to (and waste time toggling).
    The default hotkey is alt+shift+f12 and it has been there for a long time. Probably since KDE 4.0. That might not be very intuitive but it's fast. Otherwise, please tell me how much time you are wasting pressing three keys.

Sure it will add complexity but you will look sooo cool and 1337 in front of the next door geek when beeing a Kool Kid in KDE. BTW we just pushed alot of complexity down to themes and such, but those guys can sure handle it.
    Please clarify what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    With intel ivy bridge drivers the compositing works incredibly well. When I play a fullscreen game on one monitor I have good performance even though the other monitor is still composited. There is one occassion when it gets horribly laggy: When there is an overlay like notifications or the volume indicator when changing the volume, i.e. when the fullscreen game is composited.
    Same on Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    The performance hit caused by compositing is very strong, regardless of DE/WM. It's your enemy for gaming, and fullscreen isn't your friend on GNU/Linux (unable to alt-tab in most games, also it hides date/time and other stuff).
    Same for MS Windows

Quote Originally Posted by gcala View Post
    I'm still waiting that you name your champ-of-DE.
    I guess f**kSTAR uses Windows, 'cause Linux suck sooo bad

Quote Originally Posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    Same for MS Windows
    Nope, I can do that on any game on Windows whereas the only game where I can do this on GNU/Linux is Red Eclipse. Now, I'm playing windowed, it's OK since I have a large screen... this also lets me see time and stuff.