Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung's Exynos DRM Driver Keeps Advancing

Phoronix: Samsung's Exynos DRM Driver Keeps Advancing

In addition to the Samsung Exynos ARM SoCs being really attractive right now due to the impressive performance of the A15-based Exynos 5 Dual, the hardware is also nice for its open-source DRM graphics driver that keeps advancing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Samsung's Exynos DRM Driver Keeps Advancing

For over one year there's been an open-source Exynos DRM driver that made it into the mainline Linux kernel. The Exynos DRM doesn't support handling any accelerated 3D or video playback as it just covers their display controller and not the Mali GPU, but it's in fairly good shape these days and Samsung developers continue improving it for nearly every major kernel release.
    Very nice, another half working driver is improving. Already seen that. I will not consider this useless when it will be possible to start calling it a complete driver.

Comment

I'm surprised by the positive tone of the article. I would have expected something like:

Exynos Open Source Driver Still a Mess

It's been years since Samsung began rolling out their Exynos SoCs and while there is Android support, the open-source driver support for this hardware is still a disappointing mess.

For those that may be looking for ARM systems, be forewarned that the Exynos driver on the open-source code is still a mess. There has been kernel mode-setting support and other basic functionality, but 2D/3D/video playback is still rather non-existent.

Comment

+1 for agd5f

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          I'm surprised by the positive tone of the article. I would have expected something like:

100% agree with that!

From the slobbering praise that Larabel has heaped on the Exynos and the complete lack of link-bait hyperbole when it comes to the fact that there is no 3D support (e.g. no use of the terms "absolute mess", "total mess", "complete disaster", etc. etc.) you'd think that he was on the take or something.

Comment

Nah, Michael always starts out unreasonably positive. That let's him keep the story going longer, give it another year before he starts talking about how crap the driver is.

Comment

I'm surprised by the positive tone of the article. I would have expected something like: "Exynos Open Source Driver Still a Mess
              ..."
              ROFL. Thanks, you made my day.

(But still, better little improvements than nothing at all.)
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
              X