Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Ubuntu Prepares To Kill Off Metacity, Ups Compiz

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grege View Post
    It is a normal part of the Debian life cycle. A code freeze is announced and all effort goes into the testing branch to squash every bug possible before the next stable release. Multiply that for all the architectures supported. That is the way it has always been. That is why Debian Stable is so stable. The next Debian will be Gnome 3.4 based, and Xfce4 will be 4.8, and that is not going to change. If you want bleeding edge you need to run Sid and dip into experimental, and you really need to know what you are doing. Once Wheezy is released there will be an explosion of activity in Sid and so the cycle begins again.

    actually I did run Sid and for a while i did experimental too. I personally have found the stable and unstable branches weren't all that stable either. I've had squeeze fail on me before from an update. I also don't find Sid to be that bleeding edge. Last time i checked its still using the 3.2 kernel. I chose Debian over Ubuntu because i found it to be more reliable and i find the half-year release dates annoying. I chose Debian over other distros because of compatibility. But, I've found Arch is actually more compatible and once set up, it's easier to use.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    140

    Default Debian

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I also don't find Sid to be that bleeding edge. Last time i checked its still using the 3.2 kernel.
    Getting off topic, but anyhow ...

    No argument from me. You have to dip into experimental to get the really new stuff. Even Ubuntu with their six monthly updates is miles newer than Sid at the moment. I run Sid with a 3.6 kernel and Gnome 3.6. I have tried Arch and it is a fine distro, I just have more than ten years of usage of Debian/Ubuntu/Sidux et al and I am stuck in my ways.


  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talvik View Post
    Metacity is the most reliable WM on Linux. It's the WM with the best behavior and compatibility with apps and toolkits (probably because everyone targets it).
    Bullshit. It couldn't even handle GIMP properly and to enable compositions you had to edit text files (stupidness of gnome). It looses with kwin and xfce WM as well.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
    Maybe I'm too much paranoid, but Canonical decisons about Ubuntu make me think it is a conspiracy plan to destroy Linux.

    Things are done too bad in the basic common sense way, even if they don't have so much qualified developers in the team.

    That's why somewhat improved "forks" like Linux Mint work better than Ubuntu..
    That's just too bit paranoid. Ubuntu with cooperation with VALVE and nVIDIA should become quite solid system (but I think KDE and Cinnamon are far better). However, if there's someone that wants Linux to be killed it's Icaza and some idiots from gnome camp who do everything to make gnome unusable.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    [..] some people are actively trying to kill linux desktop.
    People like you?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blinxwang View Post
    You're thinking of the Miguel De Icaza and the GNOME design team.
    You're just making it really obvious that you know nothing about GNOME (during 2.x and 3.x timeframe).

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
    Maybe I'm too much paranoid, but Canonical decisons about Ubuntu make me think it is a conspiracy plan to destroy Linux.

    Things are done too bad in the basic common sense way, even if they don't have so much qualified developers in the team.

    That's why somewhat improved "forks" like Linux Mint work better than Ubuntu..
    Working with valve to get games on Linux, does not look like an smart way to kill Linux....

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Bullshit. It couldn't even handle GIMP properly and to enable compositions you had to edit text files (stupidness of gnome). It looses with kwin and xfce WM as well.
    That is correct btw. Configuration has always been as ugly as fsck on gnome.

    BTW, debian here with (old revision of) compiz. I had zero crashes or graphical glitches.....!

  9. #29

    Default

    I do love customization options so I can set up things just the way I like them. Does that mean I should stay away from Unity and GNOME?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    I do love customization options so I can set up things just the way I like them. Does that mean I should stay away from Unity and GNOME?
    Gnome is fairly customizable (see https://extensions.gnome.org/). Unity, however, is not. That doesn't mean Unity is bad, it works for a lot of people (not that I'm a huge fan of it either).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •