Mesa State Tracker Now Handles GL 3.1 Core Profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    And decision to only implement Core Profile have been made (already)?

Or is it still matter at hand?
    Intel decided to only do Core profiles, like Apple. It's very unlikely anyone else will add the compatibility extensions if Intel doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      Code:
      $ libdrm_intel --modversion
      $ uname -a
      Linux chrisl 3.7.0-1-mainline #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 26 10:35:56 CET 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      Do you have opengl 3.1 on intel? Have you ever seen someone?
      Intel supports 3.1, at least on some of their hardware. (Sandybridge and up i think)

Edit: i think glxinfo only loads the old 3.0 version, because it isn't setup to automatically try the core profiles. there is a command line switch you can use to do that i think.

Gallium drivers still need UBO and TBO support for 3.1. Then once somebody adds geometry shaders 3.3 should be extremely close. I know one of the devs was working on that, but i haven't heard anything for a while.
      Last edited by smitty3268; 29 November 2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Intel supports 3.1, at least on some of their hardware. (Sandybridge and up i think)
        Edit: i think glxinfo only loads the old 3.0 version, because it isn't setup to automatically try the core profiles. there is a command line switch you can use to do that i think.
        Well, glxinfo from mesa-demos-git doesn't do it.
        Code:
        $ glxinfo -h
        Usage: glxinfo [-v] [-t] [-h] [-i] [-b] [-s] ][-display <dname>]
                -v: Print visuals info in verbose form.
                -t: Print verbose table.
                -display <dname>: Print GLX visuals on specified server.
                -h: This information.
                -i: Force an indirect rendering context.
                -b: Find the 'best' visual and print its number.
                -l: Print interesting OpenGL limits.
                -s: Print a single extension per line.
        glewinfo doesn't either:
        Code:
         glewinfo | head -8
        ---------------------------
            GLEW Extension Info
        ---------------------------

GLEW version 1.9.0
        Reporting capabilities of display :0, visual 0xa8
        Running on a Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile  from Intel Open Source Technology Center
        OpenGL version 3.0 Mesa 9.1-devel (git-0fda2e9) is supported
        kwin from kde 4.10 beta also says it's 3.0:
        Code:
        OpenGL vendor string:                   Intel Open Source Technology Center
        OpenGL renderer string:                 Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile 
        OpenGL version string:                  3.0 Mesa 9.1-devel (git-0fda2e9)
        OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
        Driver:                                 Intel
        GPU class:                              IvyBridge
        OpenGL version:                         3.0
        GLSL version:                           1.30
        Mesa version:                           9.1
        X server version:                       1.13.99
        Linux kernel version:                   3.7
        Direct rendering:                       yes
        Requires strict binding:                no
        GLSL shaders:                           yes
        Texture NPOT support:                   yes
        Virtual Machine:                        no
        That gputest benchmark tool wouldn't run because there is no GLSL 1.40: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...829#post296829

Maybe these tools all rely on something glxinfo does. But then opengl 3.1 support isn't really useful since so much seems to depend on what is actually advertised.

Last edited by ChrisXY; 29 November 2012, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          Maybe these tools all rely on something glxinfo does. But then opengl 3.1 support isn't really useful since so much seems to depend on what is actually advertised.
          It just depends on how the app tries to open the OpenGL context.

If it uses the old version, they get served up 3.0 by Mesa and the Apple drivers. AMD/NVidia drivers will give 4.3.

If you use the new API to open a core context, Mesa and Apple drivers are able to go beyond 3.0 support.

That means that applications have to be specifically updated to get the new support in the OSS drivers, which does kind of suck. But then, if they are going to use 3.1+ features, surely you can go to the effort to open a 3.1 context at the same time.

I'm 99% sure glxinfo hasn't been updated to use the new API. I think the command-line switch i mentioned before was just a patch someone had submitted, but there wasn't a lot of agreement exactly how glxinfo should work, so i bet it never got committed. The code is open source, though, so it's easy to check out.

Comment

Piglit has some tests for GL core contexts. They're said to work with i965. They also work with Gallium if I expose GL 3.1.

Comment

Working...
            X