Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splashtop For Linux Claims 10x Performance Advantage

Phoronix: Splashtop For Linux Claims 10x Performance Advantage

Splashtop for Ubuntu Linux is being released today and it claims to be 10x faster than VNC plus offering a host of other features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a welcome addition if it proves to offer better performance then horrible VNC and and easier setup then NX (sorry guys but RDP blows VNC away in terms of performance and features).

Comment

How exactly does one quantify the "performance" of VNC in order to claim that their alternative is faster? VNC can be fast OR slow, or anywhere in between, depending on the specific implementation and configuration. The fact that this is proprietary software takes away any practical use for it. VNC's advantage is that it is open, and therefore truly cross platform. It also is easily tunneled (i.e., via SSH or whatever), and this tunnelling is typically an option within the client software itself. Security-wise, how can anything be more secure than giving the choice of YOUR CHOICE of security?

Personally, I don't trust black box security systems. If I can't audit the code, I can't trust that it isn't doing something malicious, or isn't GOING to do something malicious. When you're right into it at this level, where you could be using it to log in to high security systems as root, how do you know that it isn't logging your keystrokes and saving them up for a dump to China?

Thanks, but no thanks. I neither trust the proprietary security, nor do I believe the claims of superior performance.

Comment

wanted to try it out but because it depends on libx264-120 i cannot. seems this is a lib version used in ubuntu 12.04 while ubuntu 12.10 is using libx264-123.

they also state that they currently only support ubuntu 12.04.

Comment

Well this is annoying...

Yet another proprietary remote X solution. My employer supports one specific high-performance remote X solution, but it's a bit of a pain to use, and is meant to install on "supported" platforms. I usually end up just using VNC or remote X. Splashtop is proprietary, NX is proprietary. There are free versions of NX, but it looks like a royal pain to set up.

Once upon a time there was a thing called "dxpc" - "Differential X Protocol Compression" that was quite good. In fact for a while I was forced to use it to get X, because we had a brain-dead VPN that wouldn't tunnel X, but would tunnel dxpc. It also did a darned good job of remote X, largely by caching state and short-circuiting a lot of the round trips. But it has withered on the vine - the last release was 3.9.2 in August, 2009. Oddly enough, NX lists dxpc in its credits as one of its starting points.

Once you start listening to Wayland developers and not "remote-X-tard fanbois" you find that remote operation and X are both in their plans. Perhaps with the underlying simplicity of Wayland, we'll get something faster.

Comment

I want to check this out, but being as i don't use ubuntu and extracting the deb and manually installing it didn't work, i guess i will have to wait for a response from their support staff. I've inquired as to why the 'Download open source package' link doesn't work. I selected version 2.0.0.11 which then made the download button active, but nothing happened from there :\

hopefully, they will fix that link because obviously the 'open source package' _should_ include source code.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
              I want to check this out, but being as i don't use ubuntu and extracting the deb and manually installing it didn't work, i guess i will have to wait for a response from their support staff. I've inquired as to why the 'Download open source package' link doesn't work. I selected version 2.0.0.11 which then made the download button active, but nothing happened from there :\

hopefully, they will fix that link because obviously the 'open source package' _should_ include source code.
              the open source download link worked for me. though it is not what i and you expected. it includes the srouces for an sha implementaion, an low latency audio codec and a video codec implementation. however it does not include sources of the program. very confusing how it is named on the web site.

Comment

Based on the dependencies that people list here, it sounds like this software just captures frames from the screen and compresses them into an h264 video stream that is shown on the remote schreen, then adds support for relaying input events on top of that?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  This is a welcome addition if it proves to offer better performance then horrible VNC and and easier setup then NX (sorry guys but RDP blows VNC away in terms of performance and features).
                  X2Go is based on NX and much easier to use. It works over SSH. I've installed (but not played) Linux games using graphical installers on a remote system with a cable connection from a laptop using dial-up (49K).

Comment

My favourite is winswitch -- relatively easy to use, available also on android, lots of features, etc.

Window Switch Home Page, home of the window switch software which allows you to display running applications on other computers

Comment

Working...
                    X