Fedora 18 "Spherical Cow" Beta Finally Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    It makes sense, but in reality it's not just about fixing the OS loading issue, it opened up a big opportunity for Microsoft to screw us (probably like never before), just read this blog. As I said, the catch is that some euphemism would be a /must/, in this case it's "security" which is used as a tool to wage and cover Microsoft's warfare strategy.
    My take on that is in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
      My take on that is in this thread.
      Technically it's a sound take on UEFI.
      But there's quite a childish argument about M$, we all know how Microsoft has been (and is) trying to screw Linux (and not just Linux, and it's not just about Microsoft), no need to repeat, not even their World Tour attempt to claim ownership of Linux with "undisclosed patents" - but it's unfair to Microsoft cause they've done so much more to screw Linux that one needs an entire wiki to count their "merits".

And you're talking on that forum as if that didn't happen or if somehow God intervened and Microsoft suddenly only cares about its product quality. You also seem to believe that Microsoft caring about a better BIOS and creating problems for competition somehow exclude each other. You're also mentioning "the conspiracy theories are a load of bullcrap" - a lot of stuff in the world is done in conspiracy - it's one of the most natural and real things actually happening: from price-fixing done in conspiracy among corporations, down to mafia, CIA, coups, drug-cartels etc etc - they all act in conspiracy, so do a lot of corporations when bribing (judges, senators, especially in the USA since it's legalized) or working with/for the government and all the shitocracy around it.

Comment

By definition conspiracy is something done in secrecy. ?$ has not openly done things against GNU/Linux or other operating systems. Thus, ?$ have a conspiracy against GNU/Linux.

Comment

coool

the beta monster released anyone have a benchmarks on this monster?

Comment

I wish someone would have told me there's no need to download the install dvd.

If you have decided to go with gnome the live cd is just fine, the only thing the dvd offers is the ability to pick gnome/kde/lxde etc and a bunch of extra medical and scientific apps that you could download anyway.

The live cd is also better to install because you can't in anyway shape or form configure your touchpad or connect to a hidden wi fi network from the dvd installer.

If you have a touchpad with no buttons and need to turn on tap to click and 2 finger scrolling or have a hidden wi fi network the anaconda installer is a bitch.

Also use gparted to wipe your hard drive as I couldn't figure out how to delete hfs and ntfs partitions from a drive using the fedora installer.

edit: anyway is it true what I heard about f18 coming out before christmas?
            Last edited by Pallidus; 29 November 2012, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post

If you have decided to go with gnome the live cd is just fine, the only thing the dvd offers is the ability to pick gnome/kde/lxde etc and a bunch of extra medical and scientific apps that you could download anyway.

The live cd is also better to install because you can't in anyway shape or form configure your touchpad or connect to a hidden wi fi network from the dvd installer.

If you have a touchpad with no buttons and need to turn on tap to click and 2 finger scrolling or have a hidden wi fi network the anaconda installer is a bitch.

Also use gparted to wipe your hard drive as I couldn't figure out how to delete hfs and ntfs partitions from a drive using the fedora installer.

I think yes. but question is which year, 2013? I hope so

Also I find recent names doing bad magic
              Spherical Cow - a Fedora release that nobody has seen and exists only in devs head

I hope Shroedingers Cat doesn't mean there's 50% chance it'll be perfect, 50% for complete disaster
              But you wo't know untill you try

Comment

The download page kinda tilts you towards the live image...and what else did you expect a DVD was going to offer besides more packages?

Hidden wireless is https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=859610 . As for your touchpad, I think the bug there is really in X, not anaconda - touchpads with no buttons are supposed to have tap-to-click enabled *by default*. Can you file a bug (either downstream or upstream, doesn't matter too much) against xorg-x11-drv-evdev, explain you have a no-button touchpad but it doesn't get tap-to-click by default, and include your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and lsusb -v output? Thanks!

That's a bit vague, but I'll try - if the installer knows you don't have enough free space to install it will force you through a 'reclaim space' dialog, where you can delete partitions by clicking on them, clicking on the word 'Preserve', which magically turns it into a drop-down, which you can then set to 'Delete'. We know this UI sucks, it's not meant to work that way, it just turned out to be weirdly technically difficult to actually implement the intended design for that dialog. It should be better for Final.

If you have enough space to install, you can't hit the 'reclaim space' dialog (I'm not sure if this is considered a bug or not), but you can wipe existing partitions by going through custom partitioning - check the box about 'customize'. Existing partitions are shown on the left of the custom partitioning dialog, grouped by the OS install they're a part of. You can click on one and click the '-' button at the bottom of that pane to delete it (in all cases, partitioning decisions aren't actually *applied* until you start the install, btw, so you can always bail out until then).

No, it will not come out by Xmas. Early next year is the schedule.

Comment

In case anyone was straining their brains trying to work out why their beta installation wasn't working, Mate and Cinnamon will not install properly from the x86_64 DVD, a home folder is created with virtually nothing in, you are able to sign in but nothing else happens, access is only possible from a terminal. The answer is to select a Gnome install and download your preference Cinnamon or Mate once installed - I have just wasted many hours thinking that my dvd or method of installation were flawed. Very impressed with Cinnamon on Fedora though!

Comment

Originally posted by Wurzeld View Post
                    In case anyone was straining their brains trying to work out why their beta installation wasn't working, Mate and Cinnamon will not install properly from the x86_64 DVD, a home folder is created with virtually nothing in, you are able to sign in but nothing else happens, access is only possible from a terminal. The answer is to select a Gnome install and download your preference Cinnamon or Mate once installed - I have just wasted many hours thinking that my dvd or method of installation were flawed. Very impressed with Cinnamon on Fedora though!
                    This (at least the MATE case, I wasn't aware Cinnamon is broken too, I'll update the page) is documented on the Common Bugs page:

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment

you are better off avoiding the dvd altogether.

The only DE's that you can't run live sessions from, cinnamon and mate, don't really work so it's just a matter of picking gnome/kde/lxde/etc and install it from a live session

I actually prefer the yumex graphical thing in the lxde version than the 'software' thing in gnome.

just adding rpmfusion and then installing vlc, the process was simple and straightforward in yumex ... in 'software' you search for vlc and there's vlc media and core and phyton this and that and I installed a bunch of them but no vlc icon or anything.

fedora desperately needs a software center :/

Comment

Working...
                      X