Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.7.2 Kills The GNOME Fallback Mode

Phoronix: GNOME 3.7.2 Kills The GNOME Fallback Mode

The GNOME 3.7.2 development release was made available today. The two major changes with this latest GNOME 3.8 pre-release is the elimination of the GNOME Fallback (non-Shell) mode and now depending exclusively upon GStreamer 1.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like these new too. They help GNOME to focus on the new DE instead of maintaining old crap in the form of legacy ?$ 95 redo. People wanting 95 redo can use LXDE XFCE, Enlightenment or a ton of other environments.

Go GNOME go!

Comment

Yes yes yes, and yes. Let's keep braking things. The important is that on one should ever ask why there is no desktop market.
      The question is wrong. It's more correct to ask: why on earth a chaotic mess like linux should ever have success in the desktop market? It can't, by definition.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        why on earth a chaotic mess like linux should ever have success in the desktop market? It can't, by definition.
        If you feel that Linux is a chaotic mess and will always be that way, then why are you on our Linux site annoying us?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          If you feel that Linux is a chaotic mess and will always be that way, then why are you on our Linux site annoying us?
          Because Linux is used for a lot more than just the desktop, genius, and hence one can be a core Linux contributor and system expert despite finding OS X or Windows a better desktop experience. Alternatively, one might be a proponent of the Linux desktop and is just dissatisfied that Linux isn't suitable for more people, despite there being no technical reason why it couldn't be, and is hoping to light a fire under the right people's asses so that the failings of Linux as a desktop OS can be corrected rather than continually perpetrated. Or maybe one is just a fan of chaotic messes.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
            I like these new too. They help GNOME to focus on the new DE instead of maintaining old crap in the form of legacy ?$ 95 redo. People wanting 95 redo can use LXDE XFCE, Enlightenment or a ton of other environments.

Go GNOME go!
            +1 to this.

Comment

Yes yes yes, and yes. Let's keep braking things. The important is that on one should ever ask why there is no desktop market.
              The question is wrong. It's more correct to ask: why on earth a chaotic mess like linux should ever have success in the desktop market? It can't, by definition.
              With Windows 8 (I believe), there's no "CPU fallback mode" like with Windows 7 and prior. All rendering relies on Directx 11 which, in turn, supports a CPU backend (and DX9/10 modes for legacy hardware)... so your statements are pretty invalid seeing as how the most popular Desktop OS on the market is doing the same thing as Gnome & Unity. It makes a whole lot of sense (from a developers perspective) to remove these "fallback" code paths... LLVM OpenGL backend mean cleaner code, less bugs, and faster DE development.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                With Windows 8 (I believe), there's no "CPU fallback mode" like with Windows 7 and prior. All rendering relies on Directx 11 which, in turn, supports a CPU backend (and DX9/10 modes for legacy hardware)... so your statements are pretty invalid seeing as how the most popular Desktop OS on the market is doing the same thing as Gnome & Unity. It makes a whole lot of sense (from a developers perspective) to remove these "fallback" code paths... LLVM OpenGL backend mean cleaner code, less bugs, and faster DE development.
                the fallback would happen if you don't have a proper driver. at this point you have more serious things to worry about. i don't understand why gnome has to waste resources to support a broken platform. if you hate gnome 3 that much use xfce or gnome 2. both rhel/centos and debian still use it.

Comment

While legacy crap like Windows and OS X (thankfully only partially) could, then there's nothing that can stop Linux from being the most successful on desktops. I don't know why you consider Gnome is Linux. The truth is Gnome is the least popular compared to Unity and KDE. KDE is the best desktop I've ever seen and it's far better than Windows 7 with it's unholy interface and bugs mess. Win8 is even worse disaster, but it seems you've forgotten this. When comes to OS X it looses badly in 3D performance and the situation will be even worse with VALVE games that'll be optimized for Linux. This concerns M$hit as well. Summing up Linux is in the best position to conquer most of the desktops (if only most of the users are sane).

Comment

anyone have extensions compatible with this version, in gnome site there is no extensions, there is only some deb packages in some sites, but they are few.

Comment

Working...
                    X