Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: AMD Catalyst vs. Linux 3.7 + Mesa 9.1-devel Gallium3D Performance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,324

    Default AMD Catalyst vs. Linux 3.7 + Mesa 9.1-devel Gallium3D Performance

    Phoronix: AMD Catalyst vs. Linux 3.7 + Mesa 9.1-devel Gallium3D Performance

    In this article is a large OpenGL performance comparison looking at the frame-rates in different Linux games for different AMD Radeon Linux graphics cards when running the stock Ubuntu 12.10 operating system (Mesa 9.0 + Linux 3.5), the Catalyst Linux driver (fglrx 9.0.2) as found in the Ubuntu Quantal archive, and then when running the very latest Radeon Git code: The Linux 3.7 kernel, Mesa 9.1-devel, and xf86-video-ati 7.0.99 Git.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18184

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Huge improvements all around, although still far from fglrx.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Awesome! It's great to see xf86-video-ati make significant improvements in most tests. It's ~half as good as Catalyst in ~half the tests, which is great news indeed. Nice work, AMD devs. I'm eagerly awaiting the day the OSS drivers come within 80-90% performance of Catalyst on most cases and I can switch away from Catalyst 12.6 legacy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    760

    Default

    4+ years later, the open source driver still isn't mature.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    608

    Default

    The worst benchmark results (Reaction Quake and Xonotic) are caused by inefficiency in TTM. 90% of all time is spent in TTM, which moves buffers between VRAM and RAM all the time like crazy, and 10% of time is spent on the rendering. At least we know where the problem is.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marek View Post
    The worst benchmark results (Reaction Quake and Xonotic) are caused by inefficiency in TTM. 90% of all time is spent in TTM, which moves buffers between VRAM and RAM all the time like crazy, and 10% of time is spent on the rendering. At least we know where the problem is.
    So you have some defined test suite for performance? Can you recommend some PTS test ? Are such perf benchmarks beneficial for you? If not those what else can be tested?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    4+ years later, the open source driver still isn't mature.
    Maturity can not be simplified only to performance.

    And other features *WOULD* be there if only *legal* department of AMD gave green light. AMD devs had (have?) all necessary patches.

    And 4y is too little to get serious performance (on pair with production that was tweaked and developed x0 of years).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    So you have some defined test suite for performance? Can you recommend some PTS test ? Are such perf benchmarks beneficial for you? If not those what else can be tested?

    I'd imagine he's tracing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    Maturity can not be simplified only to performance.

    And other features *WOULD* be there if only *legal* department of AMD gave green light. AMD devs had (have?) all necessary patches.

    And 4y is too little to get serious performance (on pair with production that was tweaked and developed x0 of years).
    bla-bla-bla. legal bla bla...

    Marek said it's TTM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F i L View Post
    Awesome! It's great to see xf86-video-ati make significant improvements in most tests. It's ~half as good as Catalyst in ~half the tests, which is great news indeed. Nice work, AMD devs. I'm eagerly awaiting the day the OSS drivers come within 80-90% performance of Catalyst on most cases and I can switch away from Catalyst 12.6 legacy.
    How sad.

    AMD WAKE UP, OR YOU'LL DIE IN THE NEXT 2 YEARS CRUSHED BY NVIDIA AND INTEL. YOU KNOW WAY BETTER THAN ME HOW MUCH TRUTH THERE IS IN WHAT I JUST SAID.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •