Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LibreOffice 4.0 Alpha 1 Is Freed For Testing

Have you read this article you are commenting on, then?
    Yes I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
    Yes I have.
    And carefully, at that? Because it does mention improvements to DOCX handling.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    And carefully, at that? Because it does mention improvements to DOCX handling.
    Sure I saw that and that is good, but it doesn't seem to address the issues I have been having, but it is always good to see progress being made.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Har har. It may be "ugly", but it's a whole lot more functional than the silly ribbon UI. One of the best things that they have decided to do is not copying it. And it's also not really ugly, it's just that MS Office has a ton of unnecessary graphics all over the thing. Which, by the way, breaks custom DPI settings. Also, LibreOffice on Windows doesn't look that good due to the fact there are no tools to change the UI theme that I know of.
    Indeed, ribbon was just a plain bad idea from day one and has prevented many people from making the jump to newer versions of MS Office.

I think the interface in LibreOffice is sound as it already is, but it could use a bit of cleanup in the look and feel department.

Sure I saw that and that is good, but it doesn't seem to address the issues I have been having, but it is always good to see progress being made.
    And are the issues that you are seeing on the LO bug tracker already?

Sometimes you have to for various reason, like you have been asked to edit something someone else already created in MS Office.
    Then they should save as ODF files from MS Office which is perfectly possible.

Don't you need a plugin for that? At least with some older versions of Word?

No wonder MS Office won over OpenOffice a decade ago since the competition was so lazy and out of touch with reality.

My problem with LibreOffice / OpenOffice is the bad compatibility with MS Office, in particular Word. So for example if I create a document in Word with a TOC and open it in LibreOffice there is no TOC. In fact tables in general are problematic. Often I receive emails at my work email with Word attachments that have errors in LibreOffice.
    Can't blame LibreOffice / OpenOffice for compatibility issue when Microsoft deliberately prevent inter-polarity by design. Even docx format happened to be incompatible with Microsoft own Office sometime.

Don't you need a plugin for that? At least with some older versions of Word?
    MS Office 2003 doesn't support it, but then it's been unmaintained ever since Office 2007 came out, and it's been 5 years.