LibreOffice 4.0 Alpha 1 Is Freed For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    The Netscape code was absolutely horrible, according to the Mozilla people. So in that case, it was both reasons

MS being a monopolist, _and_ competition doing bad code.
    Doesn't mean the code of IE (that nobody ever really saw in the public) was any better. I had my share of these binaries and I know it was not good (either).
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Some nice new features are in there but I don't really get why they call that 4.0.
      I'm under the impression the new version number is a reaction to Apache who are working on an actual OpenOffice 4.0 with that Lotus Symphony stuff integrated and more.
      I can figure out why they'd call it 4.0 but only if they called it that over a year ago. One of the reasons is libreoffice was considered compatible with industry standard this year, and also had a slew of big fixes since the OOo separation. Which leads to the other overdue reason - the separation should've put LO at a different version because it leads people to believe it is better(whether it is or not), and also just a separate product. People who aren't into open source stuff aren't used to the idea of products being forked so when they see 2 office programs that look similar, operate similar, and have similar versions, it can become misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I can figure out why they'd call it 4.0 but only if they called it that over a year ago. One of the reasons is libreoffice was considered compatible with industry standard this year, and also had a slew of big fixes since the OOo separation.
        Sure, LibreOffice changed but actually LO has more in common with the OO.org version it forked from than current AOO has.
        Apache already replaced IIRC almost all copyleft dependencies with BSD or Apache licensed code. AOO 4.0 is set to get a big GUI overhaul ? I'm not aware of any similar plans in the LO camp.

Comment

My problem with LibreOffice / OpenOffice is the bad compatibility with MS Office, in particular Word. So for example if I create a document in Word with a TOC and open it in LibreOffice there is no TOC. In fact tables in general are problematic. Often I receive emails at my work email with Word attachments that have errors in LibreOffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
            My problem with LibreOffice / OpenOffice is the bad compatibility with MS Office
            For me, its the name

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
              For me, its the name
              I really do not get the name complaints, especially the people who dislike "LibreOffice" over the very clunky "OpenOffice.org".

And for my part I have few complaints over LibreOffice, it has served me well for both personal and academic work.

Comment

My problem with LibreOffice / OpenOffice is the bad compatibility with MS Office, in particular Word. So for example if I create a document in Word with a TOC and open it in LibreOffice there is no TOC.
                Then don't create documents in MS Office.

Comment

When do you think LibreOffice will get a serious UI refresh ? I think it badly needs it. Not that it's not functional, but yes, when non techies compare it to Microsoft Office 2007/2010 they encounter at office, they find LO "ugly", or just "old looking".

I'm not sure just improve the openxml support justify the 4.0 version. Unless more java clean-up (ideally all) is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Then don't create documents in MS Office.
                    Sometimes you have to for various reason, like you have been asked to edit something someone else already created in MS Office.

Comment

My problem with LibreOffice / OpenOffice is the bad compatibility with MS Office, in particular Word. So for example if I create a document in Word with a TOC and open it in LibreOffice there is no TOC. In fact tables in general are problematic. Often I receive emails at my work email with Word attachments that have errors in LibreOffice.
                      Have you read this article you are commenting on, then?

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
                      When do you think LibreOffice will get a serious UI refresh ? I think it badly needs it. Not that it's not functional, but yes, when non techies compare it to Microsoft Office 2007/2010 they encounter at office, they find LO "ugly", or just "old looking".
                      Har har. It may be "ugly", but it's a whole lot more functional than the silly ribbon UI. One of the best things that they have decided to do is not copying it. And it's also not really ugly, it's just that MS Office has a ton of unnecessary graphics all over the thing. Which, by the way, breaks custom DPI settings. Also, LibreOffice on Windows doesn't look that good due to the fact there are no tools to change the UI theme that I know of.

Comment

Working...
                      X