Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM Cortex-A15 Exynos5 Compiler Benchmarks

Phoronix: ARM Cortex-A15 Exynos5 Compiler Benchmarks

Due to there being much interest in the ARM Cortex A15 benchmarks on Linux, namely with the Samsung Chromebook and its Samsung Exynos 5 Dual, here's a weekend special providing some GCC compiler benchmarks of this new ARM chip.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please consider adding "-mfpu=neon -marm -mtune=cortex-a15" to compile flags when running tests:
    • -mfpu=neon will enable use of NEON SIMD unit (similar to SSE on x86). Ubuntu defaults don't have NEON enabled to support Tegra2 that lacks it, which also results in only half float registers being available.
    • -marm will generate ARM code instead of Thumb2, which may result in better performance
    • -mtune=cortex-a15 will, well, tune code for A15

Comment

Very impressive test!

This kind of diagram is quite useful for mastering the whole performance of A15.
      OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

I suggest running test on Ubuntu 12.10 with E-450 and Atom D525. Same OS version, nearly same cpu frequency, and that will tell us a real story about what is happening on mobile markets.

PS, 12.10 had improved ARM performance .

Comment

Thanks for that link. Weird how the A15 appears to have double the memory speed - DDR3-2133 is not likely to be soldered in there (E-450 supports max 1066).

Too bad we can't tell from ob whether the e-450 had even worse memory installed than 1066.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempestglen View Post
          This kind of diagram is quite useful for mastering the whole performance of A15.
          OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

I suggest running test on Ubuntu 12.10 with E-450 and Atom D525. Same OS version, nearly same cpu frequency, and that will tell us a real story about what is happening on mobile markets.
          I was also missing to see an Intel chip as reference. Just to see where in the overall picture the A-15 has its place.

Comment

This is the first time google chooses chrome18.0 as nexus 10 stock browser.

However,the sun spider JavaScript test indicated that chrome 18.0.1025464 only provides 50% speed of exynos5250 (chrome 23.x)on chromebook XE303,that is 1380ms vs 690ms.

I am very curious about Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 chrome performance on exynos5250, and I'll appreciate your sun spider test a lot if score picture provided.
            Last edited by Tempestglen; 26 November 2012, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X