No announcement yet.

What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't paint NVIDIA in rosy colours ? they're not that good. I have issues with both their blob and the free drivers. Try switching between displays several times in a row ? usually after 5 switches or so you'll get some error message with the blob (or crashes occur if you use nvidia-settings), and you just get crashes with the nouveau drivers. Also crashes at other times. If you want a stable laptop and use external monitors avoid them.

Oh, and OCZ SSDs? Seriously, you don't have to look far to find advice to avoid those. Try Amazon reviews.

Comment

I think the whole article, while giving good information, was a little bit trollish.

1. At phoronix start discussion about graphics chips, and you can only expect heated discussion, if succesfull.

2. Call those preferring Free Software as Zealots, and you can only expect heated discussion, if succesfull.

I got trolled after reading the comment

GJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
        Don't paint NVIDIA in rosy colours ? they're not that good. I have issues with both their blob and the free drivers. Try switching between displays several times in a row ? usually after 5 switches or so you'll get some error message with the blob (or crashes occur if you use nvidia-settings), and you just get crashes with the nouveau drivers. Also crashes at other times. If you want a stable laptop and use external monitors avoid them.

Oh, and OCZ SSDs? Seriously, you don't have to look far to find advice to avoid those. Try Amazon reviews.
        Had no crashes at all.

Noveau is a mine-field, true. For example pre GF3 hw is broken, but nv 8000 series is completely usable with it, but anything fermi and up is hard (I think).

I don't favor nvidia however, but you need their driver only to use their hardware, its their choice.

The thing is, gfx hardware vendors on x86 are all ugly in various ways. The only way to change that is to start opensource gfx company from scratch with a serious policy.

You get further DRM development with Intel and AMD (on arm), and nvidia never accepted opensource.

Comment

Nice article, actually enjoyed reading it and gives me something to think about.

I also noticed the "zealot" part but as the dude said earlier in this thread, I'd rather be a open-source zealot than a proprietery slut

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
            Nice article, actually enjoyed reading it and gives me something to think about.

I also noticed the "zealot" part but as the dude said earlier in this thread, I'd rather be a open-source zealot than a proprietery slut
            I agree. I would use the words proprietary droid, though. Or proprietary sheep

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
              I agree. I would use the words proprietary droid, though. Or proprietary sheep
              Could call it proprietary slave, but "slaves" are always unhappy. Sluts are slaves, but do it for money and have pleasure.

I just don't know no better, less offending word in english, sorry if I offended anyone.

Zealot is also wrong, more "opensource knight". "Zealot" - does not reflect the fact that FLOSS stands for open, transparent, fair world. "Knight" does.

I think our central problem lays essentially within dependency upon hardware base, that is requires proprietary if seeking performance.

We are all *slut* to them, they move a finger, we get conflicts, flames, ground-breaking adhoc decisions, and in the end its FLOSS loosing.

Example: MS claims secureboot for ENTIRE x86 and every hardware vendor magically agrees. Linux newbies now have hard times to even try the system.
              Example 2: Mono patent trojan.
              Example 3: Only Intel doing corporate opensource support (although not complete one).

We are sitting on the tree, that belongs mostly to proprietary pimps. They kick the tree slight, dozens of us falls off.

GNU project to create an Operating System, not application software was exactly due the need for stable base. The hardware itself was not this proprietary back then. Now, it is.

If we don't realize this, we are doomed to play catch-up games and burn resources for the rest of the time.
              Last edited by crazycheese; 23 November 2012, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Well said crazycheese, well said.

Comment

Indeed. Surprised to find such from Phoronix.

Comment

I want santa to bring me raspberry pi boards other than that i'll just make work whatever i have in front of me

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                      There is a very Freedom Friendly shop I recommend not included on the list.

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/
                      Never used them myself but theres http://www.ohava.com/ as a Linux first company.

On the other hand theres customizer shops that will build Linux boxes for you like http://avadirect.com/ and http://www.pugetsystems.com/ that ofer Linux as a BTO option, which is good if you want a really nice tricked out high end machine and are willing to pay the price to have someone else do the build.

Comment

Working...
                      X