Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

Hybrid View

Default What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

Phoronix: What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

If you plan to upgrade your Linux desktop hardware in the near future or will be shopping for new PC hardware this holiday season, here's a few words of advice on recommended components and manufacturers to go with for the best Linux hardware experience.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18172

One of the few Intel driver complaints is that they don't yet have any OpenCL stack for interacting with the modern Intel graphics cores in linux
    Just to clarify the situation a bit.

They need to know there's always Windows to save them from an open source trainwreck ;-)

Some motherboard vendors also have BIOS/UEFI issues under Linux, but those tend to be isolated to specific product models rather than being generic to a given vendor.
    now that would be a good addition to this article, a list of boards which don't allow to disable uefi via the bios and thus give problems

nice info, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilanaz View Post
    now that would be a good addition to this article, a list of boards which don't allow to disable uefi via the bios and thus give problems
    Many Acer laptops for one.

There is a very Freedom Friendly shop I recommend not included on the list.

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/

Angry

As far as using open-source drivers... If you are an open-source zealot
    Really? REALLY?

I mean, I can maybe understand some site like CNET labelling those demanding FLOSS as zealots, but HERE?

Way to make me feel alienated. Eff.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilanaz View Post
    Seconded.
    We have a thread here in the forums with a collection of ACPI implementation on mainboards from different vendors. But I wish there was one central source for Linux HW compatibility. There are some good databases on the projects that deal with the very hardware but I think mainboards are still missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    Seconded.
    We have a thread here in the forums with a collection of ACPI implementation on mainboards from different vendors. But I wish there was one central source for Linux HW compatibility. There are some good databases on the projects that deal with the very hardware but I think mainboards are still missing.
    The problem with creating a list of motherboards is that a single BIOS update or revision of the board itself can change their status, for better or worse.