Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 18 Beta Finally Ready For Release

Phoronix: Fedora 18 Beta Finally Ready For Release

The Fedora Project held a Thanksgiving Day Go/No-Go meeting for the long-delayed Fedora 18 Beta. The developers decided that the beta is finally in a condition where it's ready to ship...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried the beta release candidate build and the installer was still an unholy buggy mess, I hope they can wrangle it into shape because fedora 18 is a release I've been anticipating.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
      I tried the beta release candidate build and the installer was still an unholy buggy mess, I hope they can wrangle it into shape because fedora 18 is a release I've been anticipating.
      Did you file a bug on whatever problem you had?

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
        Did you file a bug on whatever problem you had?
        I was going wait and to try it again when the actual beta comes out (since its supposed to be coming out very soon) and see if I still have the problem. Basically when I did the hard drive partitioning in the installer I set up a very simple scheme (40gb root ext4, 450gb /home ext4, 8gb swap, no lvm encryption or anything.). After completing the partitioning and hitting continue when it brought me back to the hub, every single time it would say it could not read my partition setup and make me do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          I was going wait and to try it again when the actual beta comes out (since its supposed to be coming out very soon) and see if I still have the problem. Basically when I did the hard drive partitioning in the installer I set up a very simple scheme (40gb root ext4, 450gb /home ext4, 8gb swap, no lvm encryption or anything.). After completing the partitioning and hitting continue when it brought me back to the hub, every single time it would say it could not read my partition setup and make me do it again.
          Beta RC1 is Beta, so you've already tried it with the actual Beta.

That's an odd result - I wouldn't have been terribly surprised at some kind of crash, but that's a more unusual failure case. Could you file a bug against anaconda, with precise description including exact error messages, and attach at least the files /tmp/anaconda.log , /tmp/program.log and /tmp/storage.log to the report? You can get to a console during install with ctrl-alt-f2, then you can manually mount a USB stick and copy those files to it, or you can 'fpaste' them out - run 'fpaste filename' and it'll be pasted to a Fedora pastebin and give you a URL. If you get some kind of server error just try again, that's a stupid bug in the fpaste code.

Comment

there won't be any changes from beta rc1 to the final beta coming out today?

damn, I would at least expect them to upgrade ffox to 17 and fix some of 'software' app nags

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              there won't be any changes from beta rc1 to the final beta coming out today?

damn, I would at least expect them to upgrade ffox to 17 and fix some of 'software' app nags
              that's...not really a good way to develop software.

when you install a pre-release of Fedora (or pretty much any distribution) it will use non-frozen repositories that get updated regularly. so if you install F18 Beta you'll get Firefox 17 very shortly thereafter. Actually, you'll get it on your very first 'yum update', as it's in the stable repo already. If you do a network install, you'll get it 'ootb'.

But no, it is not a good idea to freeze, do all the painstaking development work and testing on a release, and then when it's all done and ready and signed off, unfreeze it and throw a bunch of random updated shit into it and immediately release the result. That is a great way to release broken things.

Comment

I see. Well I'm going to bite the bullet and install fedora 18 beta then... in a live session I can easily download firefox17 from software and a bunch of other stuff after adding the rpmfusion. But if I try to run any sudo command it says it will report me ahhahaa. That's why I love fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  I see. Well I'm going to bite the bullet and install fedora 18 beta then... in a live session I can easily download firefox17 from software and a bunch of other stuff after adding the rpmfusion. But if I try to run any sudo command it says it will report me ahhahaa. That's why I love fedora.
                  non-admin users can't sudo out of the box on Fedora. if you want to use sudo, create your user account as an 'admin user' (there's a checkbox for this in firstboot), or fix up the config after install. It's not joking when it says it will report you, that's how sudo works: it mails a notification to root when a non-authorized user tries to sudo. Unless you're an old-skool *nix admin, though, you probably aren't bothering to do anything with root's mail, so you'd never notice.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                    Beta RC1 is Beta, so you've already tried it with the actual Beta.

That's an odd result - I wouldn't have been terribly surprised at some kind of crash, but that's a more unusual failure case. Could you file a bug against anaconda, with precise description including exact error messages, and attach at least the files /tmp/anaconda.log , /tmp/program.log and /tmp/storage.log to the report? You can get to a console during install with ctrl-alt-f2, then you can manually mount a USB stick and copy those files to it, or you can 'fpaste' them out - run 'fpaste filename' and it'll be pasted to a Fedora pastebin and give you a URL. If you get some kind of server error just try again, that's a stupid bug in the fpaste code.
                    In any case for some reason I'm not seeing the issue anymore with the beta I downloaded today :/. If I ever see the issue again I will file a bug report though. I'll test it on my other laptop too.

Comment

Working...
                    X