Steam Linux Beta Opens Up To More Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    No problem, if Valve doesn't want me and my considerable debugging skills, they can eat shit and die. Nice to know they're picking Windows users and random bots for the beta instead of serious programmers who can find issues without the source code and maybe even fix them.
    Maybe you should apply for a Job at Valve so you can employ your awesomeness as a debugger-without-source-code guru. I have to say that the prospect of debugging without source code is probably not on offer and sounds dull. I imagine that most of the debugging is done for you by Steam magic, automatically capturing crashes and problems then uploading data/logs/dumps to Valve so the valve-debuggers-with-source-code-and-Steam-APIs-and-Steam-Documentation gurus can fix and test the problems directly.

Alternatively, you can both satisfy your desperate need for Steam and compliment your debugging awesomeness by acquiring new Googling skills. With these skills you might learn that it is possible to run the beta client without being a part of the beta test group. That would be something! Steam awesomeness + debugging awesomeness + Googleing awesomeness == happy camper.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
      I'm not in the beta, but I can't get TF2 (or anything else) to launch. I haven't heard of anybody else having this trouble. It tries to launch and Steam recognizes that I "played" the game today, but no joy.
      I had a similar experience. I noticed that there was some significant network traffic while TF2 appeared to be stuck in the "Launching" phase. I let it be for about 20 minutes and then *BAM*. It started working.

Comment

Did you select your network speed right? Compared to the Win installer it does not ask the speed at first launch - you have to go to the settings and search for it manually. This highly affects download speed.

Comment

Anyone tried Serious Sam 3 with one of the legacy Radeon HD GPUs and the open drivers (mesa 9.0+)?

Comment

Originally posted by ronybeck View Post
            I had a similar experience. I noticed that there was some significant network traffic while TF2 appeared to be stuck in the "Launching" phase. I let it be for about 20 minutes and then *BAM*. It started working.
            I clicked play and the normal "your game is being downloaded" window showed, library downloads show the game downloading normally. A 12G download... for you 20 mins, for me 10 hours... Let's hope it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
              I clicked play and the normal "your game is being downloaded" window showed, library downloads show the game downloading normally. A 12G download... for you 20 mins, for me 10 hours... Let's hope it works.
              Well, at least you're getting that much. I've downloaded and installed the game, let it update, and I still get a big, fat nothing when I launch. My Steam Chat window indicates that I've gone into TF2 for a couple of seconds, but then *poof*. The process quietly dies.

I guess I'm just going to wait for the full client. Shouldn't be that much longer now anyway.

Comment

The icon properites say:
                /usr/bin/steam %U

maybe try in a term and post details?

Doom3 BFG got opensourced. Would I be able to play, once the Linux version will
                be hacked, with a windoze buy from within steam on Linux?
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                  The icon properites say:
                  /usr/bin/steam %U

Doom3 BFG got opensourced. Would I be able to play, once the Linux version will
                  be hacked, with a windoze buy from within steam on Linux?
                  Thanks
                  Why shouldn't you?
                  I guess the assets are not encrypted and you'll start another binary, ofc.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                    The icon properites say:
                    /usr/bin/steam %U

That'll only work if you're in the beta. But running "~/Steam/steam.sh steam://open/friends" gets the client up if you're not. (And I would SWEAR I tried this before as I distinctly remember it dying in the terminal with no output, but...)

The problem is with, of all things, my X-Box 360 controller (wireless w/ dongle). Opening TF2 launch options and setting the -nojoy flag circumvents the issue. Now there is an amusing bug. Yay, beta!

Comment

I'm not one of these applicants either. Doesn't matter though because I use arch linux x64 and not going to care for steam if it's only for 32bit.... I don't really have the time to stuff around with steam beta at the moment anyway. LoL ...

Anyone who IS using the steam beta, be sure to post some info up here. I think that would make us all warm and fuzzy inside!

Comment

Working...
                      X