Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Beta Opens Up To More Gamers

Phoronix: Steam Linux Beta Opens Up To More Gamers

Prior to going on their Thanksgiving holiday, Valve's Linux cabal opened up the Steam Linux Beta program to an additional five-thousand applicants...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam on Sabayon x64 core i-7 nvidia gtx275

The Steam fail start after install and update with error message "Failed to load steamui.so..."
    And Steam it's 32 bit application only?

Comment

And I am not amongst those applicants! Doesn't matter, though. As long as more knowledgeable folks make it a better product, then I will continue to wait patiently.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
        And I am not amongst those applicants! Doesn't matter, though. As long as more knowledgeable folks make it a better product, then I will continue to wait patiently.
        To me, that's exactly the problem - I'm sure at LEAST 1/4 of the applicants mainly just use Windows and another 1/4 just applied to it because they can but probably don't use it a whole lot.

What bothers me is if you're not apart of the beta testers, you can still download Steam but it'll refuse to continue. I think it should still work whether you are signed up or not, but rather your opinion just doesn't matter to Valve.

Comment

Strange, am not part of the beta but been using steam since day 1

Been playing TF2 for the last 2 days +

World of goo, Amnesia and what not have worked since day 1 also

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            To me, that's exactly the problem - I'm sure at LEAST 1/4 of the applicants mainly just use Windows and another 1/4 just applied to it because they can but probably don't use it a whole lot.

What bothers me is if you're not apart of the beta testers, you can still download Steam but it'll refuse to continue. I think it should still work whether you are signed up or not, but rather your opinion just doesn't matter to Valve.
            There is a way to start steam client and use it to play and install games even without being the chosen one(for private beta). If you are really so impatient, you should be able to find it.
            RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

@konko

You need nvidia 32 bit drivers. Also it would not hurt when you install libpci3 32 bit for SS3.

Comment

I'll just wait until the open beta. Luckily for me, the only games I ever played on Steam were Orange Box titles, so I won't be missing much so far as my prior game library goes. Might get me back into desktop gaming a bit. Ever since I started using Linux I've become much more of a console gamer. Not really big on most first-person shooters, since they honestly seem highly uncreative to me, at least these days. Portal was one of the only recent FPS titles I enjoyed.

Comment

Serious Sam 3: BFE is on sale today (-75%)

Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

Comment

No problem, if Valve doesn't want me and my considerable debugging skills, they can eat shit and die. Nice to know they're picking Windows users and random bots for the beta instead of serious programmers who can find issues without the source code and maybe even fix them.

Comment

Working...
                    X