Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Begins Bootstrapping ARMv8

Phoronix: Fedora Begins Bootstrapping ARMv8

Red Hat has announced that they've initiated a new project to bootstrap Fedora on the ARMv8 64-bit low-power architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How much changes do Linux distro need to work on ARMv8 if it already work on ARMv7?

Comment

Is ARMv8 going to be awesome?

Does ARMv8 get rid of all the cruft and bad design in ARMv7?

Is ARMv8 a well-designed ISA or is it just some messy 64-bit bolted on ARMv7?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The new ARMv8 architecture is classically British; a clean and elegant 64-bit instruction set, with compatibility for 32-bit software. The 64-bit mode eliminates many complicated and awkward features and will foster a larger and more diverse ARM ecosystem with new licensees and applications.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The link given by Figueiredo details ARMv8, but note that a good ISA doesn't answer success otherwise we would all be using Alpha/MIPS computers.

Comment

It would be great if someone with better undertanding than me woul chip in. The way I see it, one of the greater hurdles of mainstreming ARM is the support among different implementation.

As renox said, I believe that much more than the "elegantness" of the archtecture or its technical merits, it needs to be set a ground where everyone can play ball. It seems work is already underway to support multiple ARM implementations with the same kernel. I believe I read somewhere that ARMv8 would settle this once and for all, but can't seem to find the reference right now.

ARM has a great chance of sucess due to the high number of competitiors playing in the same field, allowing for a faster innovation rate than we have seen in the x86 space. Apps can already run in any ARM SoC (I think). Once the user can install whaterver OS he'd like on whatever SoC he choses, then we're ganna see innovation fly.

With AMD going ARM or simply disapearing, Intel will the only relevant x86 vendor. I don't see high profile costumers willing to bet on being locked with intel when the is so much to choose from in the ARM camp.

Comment

Working...
            X