Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ships 4.10 Beta: Better Performance, More QML

Phoronix: KDE Ships 4.10 Beta: Better Performance, More QML

The first beta of KDE SC 4.10 was released on Wednesday ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday in the United States...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by asdx
    Have they rewritten the task manager to QML in this version?

The task manager is buggy in its current form (KDE 4.9.3), I hope that when they rewrite it in QML the bugs go away.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=224447
    I have found that the icon-only task manager is of much better quality. That being said, it will be really nice when they redo the main one and get rid of all the bugs in it. (I think I saw that it was slated for 4.10, but I could be wrong)

Comment

The task manager is buggy in its current form (KDE 4.9.3), I hope that when they rewrite it in QML the bugs go away.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=224447
      Oh ! That would explain why quite a few long standing bugs were not fixed... Not blaming anyone of course, but that kinda ruined the experience, to me. KDE is so amazing in some ways ; if only they could find a way to iron out rough edges.

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
        Oh ! That would explain why quite a few long standing bugs were not fixed... Not blaming anyone of course, but that kinda ruined the experience, to me. KDE is so amazing in some ways ; if only they could find a way to iron out rough edges.
        I'd say they're doing a good job so far. KDE has come a long way. I notice improvements for every major release and i notice even more improvements when I start fresh with a new account, I just hate doing that since KDE is basically the most customizable DE yet, leaving dozens of little things to tweak.

Comment

Not yet, it seems: http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-works...pplets%2Ftasks

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I'd say they're doing a good job so far. KDE has come a long way. I notice improvements for every major release and i notice even more improvements when I start fresh with a new account, I just hate doing that since KDE is basically the most customizable DE yet, leaving dozens of little things to tweak.
            There is no perfect default for everybody. In the end it's the distributor's duty to pick defaults that match the distribution's target audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              There is no perfect default for everybody. In the end it's the distributor's duty to pick defaults that match the distribution's target audience.
              I agree, but whether or not i stick with default results, i don't like not checking out what else the DE may have to offer. I don't like it when a DE has too few options either.

I'm a big LXDE fan and while that may have almost the fewest options of all, the DE is so basic that it doesn't need much to choose from. This assumes you use it for its intended minimalist in purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                i agree, but whether or not i stick with default results, i don't like not checking out what else the de may have to offer. I don't like it when a de has too few options either.

I'm a big lxde fan and while that may have almost the fewest options of all, the de is so basic that it doesn't need much to choose from. This assumes you use it for its intended minimalist in purposes.
                xpde ftw!!!

Comment

That refreshed Air theme looks great. Actually, I like how pretty much everything looks in the preview (not even the super saiyan glow is ruining KDE for me these days, lol), I'm mostly impressed with how nice the Oxygen fonts are turning out... I like them better than Ubuntu's already.

But... that window background color is depressing as hell. Brown-gray. Really. It makes everything look rusty

well, I'm not qualified to judge, maybe there's some deep meaning to it

Comment

Working...
                  X