Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling For A Fork Of GNOME 3's Fallback/Panel Mode

Phoronix: Calling For A Fork Of GNOME 3's Fallback/Panel Mode

GNOME's Vincent Untz has written about the recent decision to remove the GNOME3 fall-back mode with the forthcoming GNOME 3.8 release. He thinks the situation will improve but he basically calls for the community to fork and maintain the GNOME fall-back (gnome-panel, Metacity, etc) components assuming there is enough interest...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Calling For A Fork Of GNOME 3's Fallback/Panel Mode

GNOME's Vincent Untz has written about the recent decision to remove the GNOME3 fall-back mode with the forthcoming GNOME 3.8 release. He thinks the situation will improve but he basically calls for the community to fork and maintain the GNOME fall-back (gnome-panel, Metacity, etc) components assuming there is enough interest...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzMzE
    Michael, you apparently missed this related announcement hitting LWN: https://lwn.net/Articles/526082/
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

If the fallback mode is as popular and superior as so many on the internet claim they should have no problem finding people to step up to maintain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Massa View Post
        If the fallback mode is as popular and superior as so many on the internet claim they should have no problem finding people to step up to maintain it.
        Depends on whether those people think it is the best approach. For example if the people who would work on the fallback mode think that mate is a more efficient approach, then you won't get many people to work on the fallback mode.

Comment

They also want to maintain an official set of classic-style Shell extensions for the diehards and further improve llvmpipe and have a low-animation mode. I think this is great news and this should appease all the haters.
          Last edited by 0xCAFE; 21 November 2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah, so now we have MATE, Cinnamon, GNOME 3 and GNOME 3 Fallback. Adaptive radiation much?

Comment

I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE GNOME FORKS!

I really think they should add some JRE and HTML5 stuff to gnome, llvmpipe alone won't reduce the performance as much as most gnome users want it.

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
                I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE GNOME FORKS!

I really think they should add some JRE and HTML5 stuff to gnome, llvmpipe alone won't reduce the performance as much as most gnome users want it.
                what does my gnome-desktop stop most, cpu-based-gstreamer, so gstreamer was in gnome before gnome3 came out. So yes there were some people that did flame about that, too. But way way less than the people who now flame about gnome3. So why is that? 100% gpu-accellerated linux-users, and 0% amd-radeon-opensource-driver users + gnome2 users? Strange maybe thats so 99% of the linux users use the blobs? Sad Sad...

BTW there are extentions out there that kill the animation speed of gnome-shell its not that its so cpu-intensive or so that it is slow, the animations are made to be slow... because they should look nice. So is that maybe the major problem, gnome-devs did define to long animation-speed settings? Because of that we have flamewar over flamewar? Maybe somebody should then link to this extension and maybe talk about that thing and not about gnome-shell is bad at all.

At the moment I suffer more of the much bugs of ubuntu 12.10 "STABLE" release. Some not working boots no fix released for 64bit yet... then some heavy audio-bugs in pulseaudio with usb-plug-play and other such stuff. Its not that there is not a good option of a desktop for anybody. If you loved gnome2 why do you not use Mate and be happy with it? I dont understand that, if they would have used a lisense where they would have forbitten that anybody who wants make the 2.0 base better and better I would understand that... but they gave anybody the possibility to do so. What would have made you happy, use gnome2 till end of time? use gnome2 on tablets and someday even on phones? not really realistic. Even on Netbooks gnome2 was not good.

I used and liked there on a old Atom computer gnome-shell 3.0 and very much liked it. So even I can understand that for such a plattform and even for a slow dualcore cpu maybe its not 100% fast enough for all of you. But do you really think that the cpu you buy in 1-3 years will have performance issues with gnome-shell? Its just a bit short-sited and again they dont force you to use it... they just want to work on a interface that will be best for some computers today and nearly all computers in 1-3 years.
                Last edited by blackiwid; 21 November 2012, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  I used and liked there on a old Atom computer gnome-shell 3.0 and very much liked it. So even I can understand that for such a plattform and even for a slow dualcore cpu maybe its not 100% fast enough for all of you. But do you really think that the cpu you buy in 1-3 years will have performance issues with gnome-shell? Its just a bit short-sited and again they dont force you to use it... they just want to work on a interface that will be best for some computers today and nearly all computers in 1-3 years.
                  There is work underway to reduce the amount of animations within GNOME to limit the impact they have. Meaning: when running under SPICE (remote desktop, to reduce both CPU+bandwidth usage), but also when using llvmpipe (just CPU). This is planned for 3.8.

Comment

Working...
                  X