Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year Later, Open-Source Doom 3 Is Moving Slowly

Phoronix: One Year Later, Open-Source Doom 3 Is Moving Slowly

While this week marks one year since the Doom 3 (id Tech 4) game engine was open-sourced under the GPL, there still isn't too much adoption by open-source game developers. The few forks of the id Tech 4 code-base also aren't seeing frequent activity...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think that dhewm3 is well tested for RoE, it works for the main game - I completely finished it with some crashes but RoE crashes much more often - especially when you use the grabber and catch a fireball. I did not try Dante that long because it has some rendering errors with the replacement shaders - basically the approach is much better when you want to base a new game on it - then you could not reuse the "official" doom 3 shaders as they are not open source.

Maybe somebody should talk to the the Quake 4 and Prey developers to release the source as well.

Doom 3 BFG would be nice to have on Linux - as Steam game it would be great. The game is simpler than the original as you find LOTS of ammo and you have got a flashlight which can be used together with any weapon. From the engine options it is more like Rage. Rage would be cool to have on Linux as well. I'm not really happy that idsoftware does not see any positive things that would come with an official client - now when Steam gets popular i guess many would invest in native Linux games.

Ok, wine is able to run Rage and Doom 3 BFG basically since release at good speed but native games would definitely be nice.

I really would like to know how many ppl really played Doom 3 on Linux with a self compiled build...

Comment

Originally posted by Heather519
      Why am I not amazed?
      Because you're a spambot ?
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Ooooooooooooooooooh! Fucking got 'em!
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          why you are talking to spambots?

Comment

I'm just jumping in to note that The Dark Mod (http://www.thedarkmod.com) has been using open source Doom3 in a big way over the last year, and we're still developing with it now on our trek towards standalone... Some of our developments may be useful for the Doom3 community generally as well.

Comment

looks good!!!
              Last edited by woodsmary; 21 November 2012, 03:52 AM.

Comment

The reason no one wants to hack it, is because Doom3 Engine is plain awful and doesn't work at all for big open space.

Comment

@motorsep

Do you want to use gl2progs from dante for Steel Storm 2? I did not try it with dhewm3 but with dante i had even rendering errors with the demo1.

Comment

Not true, this 3D Game stealt it's based on opensource Doom3!

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: One Year Later, Open-Source Doom 3 Is Moving Slowly

While this week marks one year since the Doom 3 (id Tech 4) game engine was open-sourced under the GPL, there still isn't too much adoption by open-source game developers. The few forks of the id Tech 4 code-base also aren't seeing frequent activity...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzMjU
                    Maybe you have to checkout this to understand that Idtech4 Doom3 engine it's NOT "slowly moving":

And especially this:

Its based on dTech4, its super cool game similar to Thief and DisHonored world (Stealth medieval Steampunk), it's 100% working, and it's amazing!

(and it works also natively for Linux, so you can use it in your Phoronix Test suite as game!)

Comment

Working...
                    X