Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 17.0 Brings More Social Features

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 17.0 Brings More Social Features

Mozilla Firefox 17.0 was released today and it provides the first stable implementation of their Social API along with the Facebook Messenger...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Social features whatever

Firefox still is slower than Chrome, and still has less features.
    Doesn't support as much of HTML5.
    Still no <input type=date/color/etc>.
    Still no <details> support.

Still no syntax highlighting for JavaScript.

Comment

There are so many field where they could improve things but instead they shine with ideas likf to to cancel the version numbering or they bring in a so wished for and needed "social API" and integrate Facebook into the browser. Great god. As if FF wasn't already obese. Remember, it once started as uncoupled browser only element from Mozilla Suite.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        There are so many field where they could improve things but instead they shine with ideas likf to to cancel the version numbering or they bring in a so wished for and needed "social API" and integrate Facebook into the browser. Great god. As if FF wasn't already obese. Remember, it once started as uncoupled browser only element from Mozilla Suite.
        When I read the title I thought Mozilla managed to somehow make it easier to connect to other people on websites. I was very disappointed when I read that they now have Facebook support there. What has Facebook to do with 'social'? It's quite the opposite.

Comment

it once started as uncoupled browser only element from Mozilla Suite.

Comment

I'll read about this social API before talking about it ... But I'd like to point out that I'm kinda concerned about a few items.

* ?Will it support closed networking like Facebook and Twitter ? (with all the concerns to privacy that this arises)
            * ?Will it support open social networking? (Friendica, diaspora, status net, and such)
            * ?Will it favour any of the first two items? (be it with the ability to configure more or less, having more visible options, etc )

I think it's more important that they implement proper multi process architecture ... or at least they could give it a shot a "grey" approach wich would be to separate the UI and plugins from the tabs themselves (and not necessarily using a process-per-tab approach if that's the problem)

Regards.

Comment

Facebook messenger? WTF is this doing in firefox?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                Facebook messenger? WTF is this doing in firefox?
                Facebook Messenger isn't pre-installed with Firefox.
                Firefox comes with Social API which is a way for social websites to integrate with the web browser.

So you can add Facebook to your web browser.
                Currently there is only Facebook, but in the future there will be other social services too.

Comment

I have no need for or interest in Facebook. I don't want to see any Facebook icons or comment streams or messengers. I employ a melange of techniques to block Facebook shit from taking residence in my computer. But this is appearing to become more and more difficult with every passing day.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Facebook Messenger isn't pre-installed with Firefox.
                    Firefox comes with Social API which is a way for social websites to integrate with the web browser.
                    Concerns about specific companies aside, I don't think it's even a good idea for sites to be more able to "integrate with the web browser". target="_blank" is more than enough of that already.

Comment

Working...
                    X