Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pepe View Post
    Are you kidding? It's completely open.

Someone even documented on Google+ right around the time that systems were introduced how to get a regular distro onto a Chromebook by booting from SD cards:

https://plus.google.com/109993695638...ts/b2fazijJppZ
    I quoted those instructions earlier, and they are insanely complicated. There are two issues here: 1st. It is hard to dual boot on any chromebook device, and in part it has to do with the BIOS and ChromeOS security model. The second one is Samsung's fault: some of the kernel bits are binary blobs, so you'll see in these instructions that you need to manually copy a lot of binaries and hope for the best.

This is _not_ an open laptop on my book. I should be able to pop any OS on a USB drive and tell the BIOS to load it, and that does not work. Sure, it can be hacked, anything can be hacked/rooted/cracked. It doesn't mean it's "open".

In fairness to Google, ChromeOS is open source, but the model they follow is not open.

Comment

Somebody wanted to compare this with E-450, so here it is: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SU-1211219SU40

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        the interesting thing here is that given the previous lukewarm reception to chromebooks

both samsung and google had no idea this arm model would prove so popular

so they sold out and now have supply difficulties

also benchmarks don't show you the real picture of how it ACTUALLY runs ubuntu just how well the cpu performs...

unity without a decent gpu driver most be painful
        I think the first thing after the Ubuntu install will be removing Unity and put on XFCE or Mate.

Unity would be way to slow for this hw.

Comment

Originally posted by asoltesz View Post
          I think the first thing after the Ubuntu install will be removing Unity and put on XFCE or Mate.

Unity would be way to slow for this hw.
          If you wanted Xfce, I think you'd go for Xubuntu instead.

Comment

That apache result is a bit interesting. Anyone know why it does badly on A15?

Comment

fbdev

Using FBDev for it's graphics driver means you'll have a better Linux experience on a Matrox G200 equiped Xenon server from Dell.

Comment

that's the thing

like JS said in that thread where I asked people if they were buying it

as good as the arm cpu perfomance is

doing anything... ANYTHING like watching a html5 video with the chromebook

will bring your system to it's knees

DECENT GPU DRIVERS OR GTFO

and this is what I don't understand about linux, if chrome OS is linux

and chrome OS has the driver

why can't anyone "steal" the driver from chrome os to linux??

Comment

Chromebook needs following to be usable:
                  CPU ARM A57 quad core
                  RAM 4 GB
                  SSD 60 GB or more
                  open source 2D/3D graphics drivers with support for HW video decoding like VDPAU

Comment

Originally posted by jabbas View Post
                    Somebody wanted to compare this with E-450, so here it is: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...SU-1211219SU40
                    Will ubuntu 13.04 final version improve exynos5250's performance?

You may test A15 on Ubuntu12.10.

Comment

that's asking too much JS

I believe it would be usable right now (after all it's faster than atom and atom's do run distros well)

all it would need is either a proprietary driver (google has it) or a oprn source mali gpu driver...

I sincerely doubt that samsung or google are going to deliver it so that's why I didn't buy one

but why should they care? they have sold so many you can't even find them anywhere

is this the future? a googlization of linux

android and chrome os

hey it's sorta, based on, kinda of, open source, and you can root it and hack it so it's better than nothing... right?

Comment

Working...
                      X