• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal action is needed.

Comment

Cannot be easier:
      1. have a MS live account
      2. have a tool to handle MS Cabinet files and wrap your bootloader binary int it
      3. have a tool to sign MS Cabinet files
      4. have a MS OS that can run Silverlight to upload the signed binary

Four steps and four times the work MS in it

Comment

Originally posted by DeiF View Post
        Legal action is needed.
        This. Requiring Silverlight for the signing process is absolutely unacceptable. They must provide an alternative way of doing it.

Comment

personally I see this as nothing to worry about. Considering how poorly Windows 8 is doing and the fact that implementing this UEFI seems to be a pain in the ass for hardware vendors, i don't think this will last. I'm sure most hardware manufacturers will just say "screw it, this isn't worth the effort and customer complaints".

I'm sure that most people who buy a system with Windows 8 on it and intend to replace it with another OS will not be putting linux on it but probably android.

Comment

Originally posted by matyas View Post
            And so it begins... UEFI is unleashed upon the world and the Linux Foundations is having issues with proprietary technologies from Microsoft. The fact the we need a "Microsoft UEFI Signing" process is really sad. One can only guess how much grief this will generate down the road. I'm pessimistic about this one...
            Don't bundle UEFI with secure boot like that. They are not the same thing and neither is bad. And while UEFI can be cancerous -depending on the morons that implemented it (read intel)- secure boot implementation that requires something from a "competing company" is equally stupid.

Comment

I read
              UEFI
              "Secure" Boot
              Microsoft
              Symantec
              Silverlight
              .net
              cabinet file
              hurdles with the 7 stage process
              in one article and suddenly I feel the urge to KILL people!

So we're waiting for MS to sign our bootloader so maybe we can boot from the next generation of mainboards? lol.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                personally I see this as nothing to worry about. Considering how poorly Windows 8 is doing and the fact that implementing this UEFI seems to be a pain in the ass for hardware vendors, i don't think this will last. I'm sure most hardware manufacturers will just say "screw it, this isn't worth the effort and customer complaints".

I'm sure that most people who buy a system with Windows 8 on it and intend to replace it with another OS will not be putting linux on it but probably android.
                Most people will just use it (even if it is a total mess, i think this too), there is very much to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Same here. I mean, Silverlight is pretty much discontinued, why require it to update the UEFI?
                  it'S typical microsoft. stupid short sighted descisions and designs. and all done to make the life of all toher more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Microsoft up to its old tricks again.... This is why I fucking hate them. They are evil and they enjoy fucking others up. Like, just for pleasure, not always for money. I wonder what the engineers think of the management there.
                    wow. i finally have something i totally agree with you!

this makes me happy (no irony!).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

About 10 years ago I, for the sake of fun, thought how MS is going to stop GNU/Linux.

I am very sure I did not found so elegent solution: Fill markets with computers which can't run GNU/Linux. If someone would had said that to me, I would maybe had thought that he is an idiot. It is so simple, elegant, and unimaginable 10 years ago because of many reasons.

Now I think ANYTHING is possible by big corporations.

Comment

Working...
                      X