Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Foundation Struggles With Microsoft UEFI Signing

Phoronix: Linux Foundation Struggles With Microsoft UEFI Signing

James Bottomley has written about the problems being faced by the Linux Foundation in having a Microsoft-approved validly-signed UEFI pre-bootloader...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not one little bit

Why am I not amazed?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      Why am I not amazed?
      They treat their customers like shit at the OS level, follows that they would do it at the customer support level too. That's why I'm not amazed anyway.

Comment

I'm not a SecureBoot expert, but doesn't this completely defeat what Microsoft officialy wants to achieve with secureboot?
        I.e.: A "hacker" could use that publicly available signed bootloader and use it to preload before Windows and make secureboot completely pointless?

Just asking. Hope someone can clarify this.

Comment

And so it begins...

And so it begins... UEFI is unleashed upon the world and the Linux Foundations is having issues with proprietary technologies from Microsoft. The fact the we need a "Microsoft UEFI Signing" process is really sad. One can only guess how much grief this will generate down the road. I'm pessimistic about this one...

Comment

Silverlight-based file uploader
            Not sure if serious...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Not sure if serious...
              Same here. I mean, Silverlight is pretty much discontinued, why require it to update the UEFI?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Not sure if serious...
                I seriously laughed out loud on this part.

Comment

EU

EU really needs to something about this.

Silverlight required for the uploader is just icing on the cake, they just made it to fuck with us.
                  Microsoft even deprecated Silverlight.

Really fucked up that we need the permission of Microsoft to run our system.

SecureBoot is so flawed in everything from its design to implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    EU really needs to something about this.

Silverlight required for the uploader is just icing on the cake, they just made it to fuck with us.
                    Microsoft even deprecated Silverlight.

Really fucked up that we need the permission of Microsoft to run our system.

SecureBoot is so flawed in everything from its design to implementation.
                    I must fully agree with you here, all this is just grotesque, i can't find another word.

Comment

Working...
                    X