Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning: major rant about sound in linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: major rant about sound in linux!

I bought a usb headset to use skype. Wow. Sound in Linux is a disaster.

It's $20 and I am sure in Windows, it would take about 10 minutes and then good to go. But, in Linux. Nope. Google sound, usb headset, ALSA and/or pulseaudio.

It doesn't matter which distro. But, since I use Debian and derivatives, just googling anything related finds nothing of use. Unless you just play music through some speakers, anything with sound in Linux is a major PITA. It's about as bad as trying to use video drivers.

The Linux community gets praise for DIY and helping but really, if it is something like this, there is no feedback. If it is something like wireless, tons of people respond. It's really telling. I find it hilarious when people post about what Linux needs to do to compete or replace Windows. It's really obvious.

1. That's a very minor "rant". This is a major rant:

if it is something like this
    Like what? You seem to have forgot to say what's actually wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      1. That's a very minor "rant". This is a major rant:

Like what? You seem to have forgot to say what's actually wrong...
      2. I can't get sound through the usb headset when I use software. Although, I could when using audacity but that's about it.

Anyway, I tested on a live medium (usb stick) Kubuntu 12.10 and after fumbling with installing flash on Firefox and needing to add x386 architecture package, Skype also installed. At least, I had sound with Youtube, Movie Player etc. I feel fairly confident that I'd have sound across the board. Well, I would like to reserve judgement on that!

I don't like the *ubuntus but I have to say the experience with the usb headset and sound was way less frustrating than Debian and the derivatives I tried that were actually installed (siduction and Mepis 12).

I spent, maybe, 20-30 mins with the live medium (live Kubuntu 12.10) and hours with the installed OS systems.

Comment

I can't edit now? LOL! Nevermind. Skype didn't work (no sound). Linux is a failure as usual.

Comment

It doesnt work because you have got no clue about pulseaudio. That's not the fault of Linux. For Debian wheezy+ the correct way to install PA (for KDE with vlc backend) is:
          Code:
          apt-get install --yes pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-module-bluetooth libasound2-plugins pavucontrol vlc-plugin-pulse
          [ "$(uname -m)" = "x86_64" ] && apt-get install --yes libasound2-plugins:i386
          You should restart the DM or reboot after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            Linux is a failure as usual.
            2/10 for the troll attempt. Pretty weak.

I can't really comment on usb sound cards / head sets since I don't have one here at the moment but I don't really know why skype shouldn't work with one. At least skype worked with pulseaudio and the internal soundcard with zero configuration whatsoever so it should just be a matter of choosing the correct input...

Comment

Ok, I use google hangout to video call various linux and windows machines, used both webcams - techsolo 0.3Mpix crap and Logitech c905.
              Both work very good and with "guvcview -o" I can modify settings on-live. Just saying, it works.....!

Go to google.com. Create account. Go to email. On left bottom side open the contact list. Plug in your headset or camera. Now call anyone. A browser plugin will be installed and from now on you can call via any google mail account to other one.

You have driver problem. Driver != Linux. Linux problem is this: when you have very old hardware and you want to cut exactly initramfs modules for the hardware, ie something that microkernel OS can do, you can't without manual approach.

The hardware autoloading should be improved after systemd is done.
              Something like "step 1. detecting hardware - step 2. autoinstalling packages and kernel modules for system - step 2.5.. and maybe even offer apps if connected to package manager.. - step 3. and starting ONLY them" should be really done. That would bring hell of experience!

Please post "lsusb" string of your device and uname.
              Last edited by crazycheese; 21 November 2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Ok, I use google hangout to video call various linux and windows machines, used both webcams - techsolo 0.3Mpix crap and Logitech c905.
                Both work very good and with "guvcview -o" I can modify settings on-live. Just saying, it works.....!

Go to google.com. Create account. Go to email. On left bottom side open the contact list. Plug in your headset or camera. Now call anyone. A browser plugin will be installed and from now on you can call via any google mail account to other one.

You have driver problem. Driver != Linux. Linux problem is this: when you have very old hardware and you want to cut exactly initramfs modules for the hardware, ie something that microkernel OS can do, you can't without manual approach.

The hardware autoloading should be improved after systemd is done.
                Something like "step 1. detecting hardware - step 2. autoinstalling packages and kernel modules for system - step 2.5.. and maybe even offer apps if connected to package manager.. - step 3. and starting ONLY them" should be really done. That would bring hell of experience!

Please post "lsusb" string of your device and uname.
                I fixed the skype/sound problem.

Now, I'm trying to configure an AMD/ATI crap card using an HDMI connection. I can't believe how pathetic the AMD drivers are. :-( [not on my computer mind you. I'll probably never recommend AMD again - neither for FOSS nor Catalyst].

Comment

Working...
                X