Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Developers Prefer Git Over SVN

Phoronix: LLVM Developers Prefer Git Over SVN

While the LLVM compiler infrastructure is primarily developed around Subversion, a poll was recently conducted that found LLVM developers overwhelmingly prefer Git over SVN for version control...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Everyone prefers Git

Not only LLVM developers prefer Git, everyone prefers Git!

I don't know if Git is overhyped, or if its really awesome.
    But everyone seem to be all over Git.

Comment

The real news here is that there those who would choose Subversion over git.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Actually, DVCS is awesome, so clearly, SVN cannot compete

Comment

Originally posted by Aiua View Post
          Agreed. I definitely prefer Git over Subversion, but when it comes to Hg (which we use at work) vs Git (everything else I've done), I'm not so sure...

Comment

fake breaking news: LLVM developers switch to AGPLv3 or later not only because GIT is better also because they found the wisdom of RMS and peace of freedom and the fight against the end-user is over and the patent war is also over because its so much cheaper and more profitable to let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

At first I thought that it really is overhyped (if only because it is more complicated and harder to use than SVN), until I needed to prepare some patch sets and re-work them few times, keep few trees up-to-date with mainline, etc. Then I went to "how people were able to develop software before git?!".

You need to spend good few hours learning it to be able to use it comfortably, but it really does make good development easier. It's fast and you can do basically anything with it, you just need to know how.

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
              fake breaking news: LLVM developers switch to AGPLv3 or later not only because GIT is better also because they found the wisdom of RMS and peace of freedom and the fight against the end-user is over and the patent war is also over because its so much cheaper and more profitable to let it go.
              one can dream, one can only dream...
              Last edited by tomato; 20 November 2012, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiua View Post
                The fact that it is distributed doesn't really make things much better. Where Git destroys SVN is in its merging strategy, modern development models create highly branched revision trees, so lots of merging - SVN just doesn't handle merging as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                  The fact that it is distributed doesn't really make things much better. Where Git destroys SVN is in its merging strategy, modern development models create highly branched revision trees, so lots of merging - SVN just doesn't handle merging as well.
                  Git fits well with open source projects (it was built to do so). But most large companies would go bankrupt if developers (mostly clueless) would need to branch and merge. In my experience, all you can expect to be reasonably well handled within such a company is branching a release, comitting some fixes there if needed and then forgetting about it. In these environments svn is still king, if they don't choose to go with a more 'powerful' solution like (pardon the expression) clearcase, perforce...
                  Also, I'm not bothered by projects that stick with svn. git-svn is good enough so you can still keep branching and merging as you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    But most large companies would go bankrupt if developers (mostly clueless) would need to branch and merge.
                    Merging should be done only by project manager, regular developers should at most rebase their work to current main branch...

Comment

Working...
                    X