No announcement yet.

Linux 3.7 File-System Benchmarks: EXT4, Btrfs, XFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So where in this test do you think Michael hit those performance-losses a SSD can show due to too heavy wear?

Comment

Originally posted by Nextweek View Post
      could you link me to where it says that the tests were just streams of zeros?
      Name a benchmark that you are interested in, and if you lack the basic google skills to look it up, I will help you.

Comment

Btrfs decides whether or not something is worth compressing and only compresses it if it is worth it.

EDIT:
        Well it's a parameter you can pass, at least. I think this is the default behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Nextweek View Post
          It is considered inappropriate to claim something without a reference, could you link me to where it says that the tests were just streams of zeros?
          The code for 3 different FS benchmark utilites I inspected myself say so.

Basically any benchmark that doesn't write just stream of zeros is "a bit" vocal about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
            No, they prove nothing of the sort. All they prove is that if you are writing a stream of zeros to your drive, the performance will be better with compression. With real data that does not compress so easily, the performance will be completely different than the benchmarks.
            Yep, and don't most modern SSD's do some kind of compression at the firmware level anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
              Yep, and don't most modern SSD's do some kind of compression at the firmware level anyway?
              Not most - some (AFAIR SandForce based chipsets).

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
              X