Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.7 File-System Benchmarks: EXT4, Btrfs, XFS

Phoronix: Linux 3.7 File-System Benchmarks: EXT4, Btrfs, XFS

In this article are benchmarks of the latest Linux 3.7 kernel development code of the EXT4, XFS, and Btrfs file-systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is the kernel getting slower each release? (except the graphics stack)

Comment

Thanks for the HDD tests in future.

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
        Is the kernel getting slower each release? (except the graphics stack)
        Huh?
        I did a fast count and its seems that the number of benchmarks won by 3.7 outweigh the number of benchmarks lost. (7:3 in the case of ext4)
        I'd take btrfs out of the equation until its reaches a stable status (mid-development-code tends to be performance regression happy).

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Thanks for the benchmarks. It looks like ext4 continues to perform better than btrfs even on SSDs (which in theory should be btrfs' strong point)...
          BTW I'd like to see a comparison between the last kernel releases (3.7 vs 3.6 vs 3.5...)

Comment

Is there any news of FTRFS : Fractal Tree FS , by TokuDB ?
            Last i heard was their presentation of FTRFS on some DB convention in june/july. Its supposed to be the thing for next gen DB's.

Comment

any ideas as of why XFS would perform so much worse in the Threaded I/O Tester v0.3.3 test comparing to the 3.5 kernel?

Comment

Hard to compare

I've tried both Ext4 and Btrfs on my laptops Samsung SSD and found that Btrfs with compression and discard works the best for me. Certainly the benchmarks from last year prove the compression with Btrfs vastly improves performance:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...lzo_2638&num=2

Comment

Originally posted by Nextweek View Post
                  Certainly the benchmarks from last year prove the compression with Btrfs vastly improves performance:
                  No, they prove nothing of the sort. All they prove is that if you are writing a stream of zeros to your drive, the performance will be better with compression. With real data that does not compress so easily, the performance will be completely different than the benchmarks.

Comment

Could you provide reference?

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
                    No, they prove nothing of the sort. All they prove is that if you are writing a stream of zeros to your drive, the performance will be better with compression. With real data that does not compress so easily, the performance will be completely different than the benchmarks.
                    It is considered inappropriate to claim something without a reference, could you link me to where it says that the tests were just streams of zeros?

Comment

Working...
                    X