Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Catalyst For Linux Driver Improves Performance

Phoronix: New Catalyst For Linux Driver Improves Performance

Weeks after NVIDIA released a new Linux driver to massively improve its OpenGL performance in large part to make the Source Engine and Valve's games run better on Linux, AMD is out with a similar Catalyst update. The latest Catalyst Linux beta is said to bring "significant performance improvements" for Left 4 Dead 2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile Team Fortress 2 is not working on Legacy Catalyst 12.6 due to a missing OpenGL extension.

Unless AMD releases a feature updated Legacy driver, you won't be able to play (at least) this Source game
    using the proprietary driver on a still quite powerful GPU as the Radeon HD 4800 is.
    Let's see if such a Legacy driver will be released. I doubt it. :/

Ah, and xserver 1.13 support would be highly appreciated...

Comment

When Mac users got TF2, their characters could run around with white ear buds on them to indicate they're on a Mac. I wonder if they'll do the same thing with Linux? Maybe a penguin suit or something?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        Unless AMD releases a feature updated Legacy driver, you won't be able to play (at least) this Source game
        using the proprietary driver on a still quite powerful GPU as the Radeon HD 4800 is.
        What about r600g?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          What about r600g?
          I'm a strong proponent of open drivers and, indeed, I'm using r600g now (stable mesa 9.0).
          But it's still not performing sufficiently good, imho.
          For instance, 'Trine 2' and antialiasing* runs very slow on my configuration
          unless I go for a low resolution, while the game is really fast on windows.
          The hardware configuration is capable of providing high framerates.
          Killing floor doesn't even provide an antialiasing mode for the open driver.
          I guess for some upcoming games the open driver is not suitable in the current state (performance-wise).

I can't say if and how r600g works with TF2 as I was not selected as a beta tester.

[*] Trine 2 gives a list of antialiasing modes. The lowest setting is called 'medium FXAA', which I tried.
          It seems to work, i.e. it's visually way more appealing compared to 'no antialiasing'. I was a bit surprised.
          Is it actually implemented in the open AMD drivers (I thought just MLAA is)? But, as I said, it works "somehow".

Comment

[*] Trine 2 gives a list of antialiasing modes. The lowest setting is called 'medium FXAA', which I tried.
            It seems to work, i.e. it's visually way more appealing compared to 'no antialiasing'. I was a bit surprised.
            Is it actually implemented in the open AMD drivers (I thought just MLAA is)? But, as I said, it works "somehow".
            It's not the driver implementing that, it's the app. Also explains why you don't see it in other apps.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              It's not the driver implementing that, it's the app. Also explains why you don't see it in other apps.
              That makes sense. Thanks!

Comment

Any news on an updated Catalyst Legacy driver? I've got a 4670 that I'd like to play source games on!!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  I can't say if and how r600g works with TF2 as I was not selected as a beta tester.
                  I read a comment on steam that indicated some one was running TF2 using r600g on a HD4200. The same topic has a post by a Valve developer infering that it requred the latest fglrx. I will test it out by monday on one or two Radeon cards and post my findings.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                    I read a comment on steam that indicated some one was running TF2 using r600g on a HD4200. The same topic has a post by a Valve developer infering that it requred the latest fglrx. I will test it out by monday on one or two Radeon cards and post my findings.
                    That would be great. Which cards are those?
                    So far I only read comments of beta testers running the proprietary NVidia/AMD drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X