Gentoo Developers Unhappy, Fork udev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
    Okay, I should qualify that somewhat. Oracle's contributions are significantly smaller than RH's - or, indeed, for instance, SUSE's, or many other projects, even non-commercial ones. And Oracle contributes nothing significant to the development of the precise codebase they ship, i.e. RHEL.
    Their Linux port of DTrace seems useful. RedPatch is also rather nice.

With that said, I do not think RedHat gives Oracle much opportunity to contribute to RHEL development. That could change if RedHat were to adopt Canonical's practices of giving commit privileges to people outside their organization and having an open bug tracker.
    Last edited by ryao; 22 November 2012, 08:09 AM.

Comment

okay, I already tried this once, but this is way off into the weeds, and I'm not interested in a bash fest. either we get back on the topic of udev or I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
        okay, I already tried this once, but this is way off into the weeds, and I'm not interested in a bash fest. either we get back on the topic of udev or I'm out.
        I cannot imagine having a productive conversation with you about eudev until we do our first tag. We are a few weeks away from that. Lets talk then.

Comment

As an additional note, I am putting the finishes touches on the kmod work. There are a few additional things that I want to address, but it will be back in HEAD soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
            I am not involved with QEMU maintenance. I suggest that you contact Doug Goldstein for details.

As for systemd, why is it that the GNOME project feels that mandatory dependence on such features is necessary when the KDE project does not? The KDE project seems to have no trouble writing cross platform compatible code. The only instance in which KDE fails to be cross platform involves Network Manager, which is Linux specific. As far as I know, Network Manager is developed primarily by RedHat employees.
            I think they plan to support the systemd features but keep some sort of compatibility with systemd free system . But I suppose "solid" needs systemd support first?

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
              I think they plan to support the systemd features but keep some sort of compatibility with systemd free system . But I suppose "solid" needs systemd support first?
              I still do not understand what is special about GNOME that the GNOME developers feel it necessary to try to force a dependency. They are just giving downstream developers more work to do.

Comment

I still do not understand what is special about GNOME that the GNOME developers feel it necessary to try to force a dependency. They are just giving downstream developers more work to do.
                They force dependencies on you all the time, just like all other projects. In this case, it happens to be a dependency that you disagree with.
                Yes, I know it "would make GNOME Linux only", but there are some points to consider:
                1) Isn't that the de facto case already?
                2) The dependency is IIRC on the systemd interface, meaning that you can replace it with other software that provides the same functionality.

Comment

Canonical has done wonders for Linux marketshare and our community grows in size as Ubuntu users have jumped ship. On the other hand, RedHat's actions have been fairly problematic. RedHat developers do not care about regressions that their patches cause in software that we distribute, which causes plenty of headaches for us. RedHat is also actively trying to chase other contributors to OSS projects away, such as Oracle and RisingTide Systems.

Which company do you think that we would prefer to go bankrupt tomorrow?
                  Who are 'we'? Are you now speaking for Gentoo as a whole, I really hope not because I doubt I could fathom a worse spokesperson.

And while I'm grateful for the work Canonical has put into making Linux a 'mainstream' desktop possibility, there's no comparing Red Hat's and Canonical's contributions to the Linux ecosystem, Oracle doesn't even register.

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
                    They force dependencies on you all the time, just like all other projects. In this case, it happens to be a dependency that you disagree with.
                    Yes, I know it "would make GNOME Linux only", but there are some points to consider:
                    1) Isn't that the de facto case already?
                    2) The dependency is IIRC on the systemd interface, meaning that you can replace it with other software that provides the same functionality.
                    1. GNOME replaced CDE on Solaris as the only provided desktop environment not that long ago. It runs on more than just Linux.
                    2. That gives distribution developers more work.

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                    Who are 'we'? Are you now speaking for Gentoo as a whole, I really hope not because I doubt I could fathom a worse spokesperson.

And while I'm grateful for the work Canonical has put into making Linux a 'mainstream' desktop possibility, there's no comparing Red Hat's and Canonical's contributions to the Linux ecosystem, Oracle doesn't even register.
                    It is a hypothetical question to which I gave a hypothetical answer. It was left vague intentionally. Also, Gentoo doesn't have a spokesperson. Each Gentoo developer's opinions are their own.

As for RedHat's contributions, they tend to focus on quantity over quality. With the exception of Linus' tree, patches that they provide to upstream projects often lack the scrutiny given to patches that they write against the Linux kernel. This seems to be in part because they only seem to care about their narrow set of target cases and in part because they do not seem to enforce QA standards on what they submit. It is nice of them to try to contribute, but there are plenty of people who would prefer RedHat employees to enforce better QA standards on their contributions and to handle cases that they do not necessarily need themselves. It would prevent regressions that such patches often cause for others.

By the way, I finished reworking the kmod builtin in eudev. It has been committed to HEAD.
                    Last edited by ryao; 23 November 2012, 03:24 AM.

Comment

1. GNOME replaced CDE on Solaris as the only provided desktop environment not that long ago. It runs on more than just Linux.
                      Yes, I know it runs on more than Linux. The point was that all development seems to be done by Linux people. That is the impression I had when the systemd-in-Gnome issue surfaced the first time around.
                      Also, the WP article on JDS/OpenSolaris says that "OpenSolaris Desktop is now tied to the OpenSolaris operating system", which makes your point kind of moot

2. That gives distribution developers more work.
                      That's what usually happens when you decide to go against the stream. But I guess you know that already, with the fork and all

Comment

Working...
                      X