No announcement yet.

Gentoo Developers Unhappy, Fork udev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously, Godwin's law should be extended to also cover that ridiculous 'hipster argument'. "YER A HIPSTER SO IM RIGHT AND UR WRONG", what a sad people.

Comment

Originally posted by kaszak View Post
      Seriously, Godwin's law should be extended to also cover that ridiculous 'hipster argument'. "YER A HIPSTER SO IM RIGHT AND UR WRONG", what a sad people.
      Seriously, Godwin's law should be extended to also cover that ridiculous 'Lennart is evil argument'. This is a clear case of untalented people driven by Lennart hate. Want proof?
      Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

How low is that!?

And yes; Doing dead on arrival forks fuelled by pure hate IS the open source version of the hipster movement. Any teen can do it, crapy or not, you WILL get moronix fame.
      Last edited by funkSTAR; 19 November 2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Seriously, Godwin's law should be extended to also cover that ridiculous 'Lennart is evil argument'. This is a clear case of untalented people driven by Lennart hate. Want proof?
        Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

How low is that!?

And yes; Doing dead on arrival forks fuelled by pure hate IS the open source version of the hipster movement. Any teen can do it, crapy or not, you WILL get moronix fame.
        Holy crap, you're annoying.........

Forking is an essential part of the free software ecosystem, cathedral-like "my way or the highway" isn't.

There are legitimate reasons for many people to stay off systemd at this time. At least wait for the guys to release a few versions before passing your well-informed "judgement".

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Holy crap, you're annoying.........

Forking is an essential part of the free software ecosystem, cathedral-like "my way or the highway" isn't.

There are legitimate reasons for many people to stay off systemd at this time. At least wait for the guys to release a few versions before passing your well-informed "judgement".
          Forking is fine. Angry hipsters stripping the original developers' copyright notice is NOT. I dont need any releases when such stupidity hits the tree. Unnecessary, unethical and borderline unlawful.

Comment

I'm OK with the fork.

I just don't get all the systemd fanboyism... Some people don't need to get rude because their project is being forked; it gives users more choice, and that's a good thing, especially in the free software world.
            I think Red Hat is kind of trying to take over the whole GNU/Linux ecosystem, with their all-in-one solution (systemd + Gnome, all over the linux kernel), and I'm not buying it.

All I gotta say is if systemd is so superior to everything else, it'll just beat the competition; I don't know why some are scared by the fork to the point they have to make it look pathetic with no real argument, unless they're scared systemd will just go back to dust because of it...

Comment

Originally posted by MismatchedShoes View Post
              I'm OK with the fork.

I just don't get all the systemd fanboyism... Some people don't need to get rude because their project is being forked; it gives users more choice, and that's a good thing, especially in the free software world.
              I think Red Hat is kind of trying to take over the whole GNU/Linux ecosystem, with their all-in-one solution (systemd + Gnome, all over the linux kernel), and I'm not buying it.

All I gotta say is if systemd is so superior to everything else, it'll just beat the competition; I don't know why some are scared by the fork to the point they have to make it look pathetic with no real argument, unless they're scared systemd will just go back to dust because of it...
              Red Hat as a company doesn't really care. RH developers aren't like Canonical devs, we don't just do the whims of the billionaire CEO, we are pretty much left to ourselves to decide directions for whatever project we are involved in at whatever level.

Like I can't see what you think system/gnome is any different from upstart/unity, or any combination of projects from any company.

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                Red Hat as a company doesn't really care. RH developers aren't like Canonical devs, we don't just do the whims of the billionaire CEO, we are pretty much left to ourselves to decide directions for whatever project we are involved in at whatever level.

Like I can't see what you think system/gnome is any different from upstart/unity, or any combination of projects from any company.

Dave.
                I'm sorry, but you shouldn't take it personal (and then blame Canonical...).
                I don't like either approach; I think it's a problem when too few people are providing too many critical components, it gives them way too much power... providing a project like udev, and then have it merged with an another project is bad attitude; maybe it forced some distributions to switch to systemd?
                The problem is in your last sentence: Linux and all related projects should be community projects, not guided by some company's agenda, whatever the company is.

Comment

Originally posted by MismatchedShoes View Post
                  People saying negative things about it are not the average phoronix forum member/systemd fanboys/Lennart worshipers etc. They are top end kernel hackers and maintainers. Like it or not their opinion holds more weight.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    People saying negative things about it are not the average phoronix forum member/systemd fanboys/Lennart worshipers etc. They are top end kernel hackers and maintainers. Like it or not their opinion holds more weight.
                    I can't tell about the fork itself, all I'm saying is forking udev is a good thing; some devs are having a pain extracting udev from systemd to have it working on their distro, this might be helpful for them. If systemd is better, it will win on its own merits (for the moment, I have to admit I'm still waiting for a systemd implementation that make DHCPCD start correctly at every boot - maybe I'm cursed...).

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      Well, you know what they say: ?Opinions are like assholes; everyone's got one.? So the only opinion that really counts will be your own.

And being negative about a fork, really? It is open source for Lord's sake. Go ahead and fork the shit out of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X