Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Developers Unhappy, Fork udev

Phoronix: Gentoo Developers Unhappy, Fork udev

The udev code-base has been forked by Gentoo Linux developers after they -- and other parties -- have been unhappy with the future direction of udev as set by systemd developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As I said on slashdot.org:

I doubt anyone will listen to me at this point, but that was not an official announcement. I wrote that email to preempt a policy decision by the Gentoo Council that would have negatively affected the goals of our nascent project. A consequence of doing fully open source development is that with the exception of issues involving the security of our infrastructure, all of our internal emails are public.

Anyway, the official announcement will come later. We are still working on becoming organized. I also probably should register on slashdot.

Comment

Udev should be its own project as it is considered critical infrastructure, and it shouldn't be depending on any init subsystem in particular (like systemd), but be initsystem-agnostic. Smart move on the part of the Gentoo developers to do this fork and hopefully this codebase can be made available to other distros as well (debian, red hat, ubuntu..etc)

Question is why should a critical component like udev be under the control of systemd developers anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        Udev should be its own project as it is considered critical infrastructure, and it shouldn't be depending on any init subsystem in particular (like systemd), but be initsystem-agnostic. Smart move on the part of the Gentoo developers to do this fork and hopefully this codebase can be made available to other distros as well (debian, red hat, ubuntu..etc)

Question is why should a critical component like udev be under the control of systemd developers anyway?
        Ask greghk AT gentoo DOT org why he gave maintainership to Redhat employees in the first place. As far as I am concerned, it should have stayed within Gentoo.

Comment

This wanna make me switch back to gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
            greghk AT gentoo DOT org
            Clearly no spambot has been updated to parse that syntax yet. Good show, sir. Let's continue making life as hard as possible for humans while not even making a blip of inconvenience for the machines we're trying to thwart.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
              Clearly no spambot has been updated to parse that syntax yet. Good show, sir. Let's continue making life as hard as possible for humans while not even making a blip of inconvenience for the machines we're trying to thwart.
              The inconvenience was intentional. It was meant as a subtle point that he is a Gentoo Developer, not an open invitation to harass him.

Comment

Udev is a critical linux component. Systemd is quickly becoming one as well. However I have no flipping idea why udev is merged under systemd's tree in the first place. What benefit to this action am I overlooking?

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
                  Ask greghk AT gentoo DOT org why he gave maintainership to Redhat employees in the first place. As far as I am concerned, it should have stayed within Gentoo.
                  I don't think Kay worked for RH back when Greg stopped co-maintaining udev.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                    I don't think Kay worked for RH back when Greg stopped co-maintaining udev.
                    You are right. He worked for Novell. I was unaware of this.

Comment

Working...
                    X