Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 97

Thread: Gentoo Developers Unhappy, Fork udev

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,787

    Default Gentoo Developers Unhappy, Fork udev

    Phoronix: Gentoo Developers Unhappy, Fork udev

    The udev code-base has been forked by Gentoo Linux developers after they -- and other parties -- have been unhappy with the future direction of udev as set by systemd developers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIzMDU

  2. #2

    Default

    As I said on slashdot.org:

    I doubt anyone will listen to me at this point, but that was not an official announcement. I wrote that email to preempt a policy decision by the Gentoo Council that would have negatively affected the goals of our nascent project. A consequence of doing fully open source development is that with the exception of issues involving the security of our infrastructure, all of our internal emails are public.

    Anyway, the official announcement will come later. We are still working on becoming organized. I also probably should register on slashdot.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    962

    Default

    Udev should be its own project as it is considered critical infrastructure, and it shouldn't be depending on any init subsystem in particular (like systemd), but be initsystem-agnostic. Smart move on the part of the Gentoo developers to do this fork and hopefully this codebase can be made available to other distros as well (debian, red hat, ubuntu..etc)

    Question is why should a critical component like udev be under the control of systemd developers anyway?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Udev should be its own project as it is considered critical infrastructure, and it shouldn't be depending on any init subsystem in particular (like systemd), but be initsystem-agnostic. Smart move on the part of the Gentoo developers to do this fork and hopefully this codebase can be made available to other distros as well (debian, red hat, ubuntu..etc)

    Question is why should a critical component like udev be under the control of systemd developers anyway?
    Ask greghk AT gentoo DOT org why he gave maintainership to Redhat employees in the first place. As far as I am concerned, it should have stayed within Gentoo.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    63

    Default

    This wanna make me switch back to gentoo.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryao View Post
    greghk AT gentoo DOT org
    Clearly no spambot has been updated to parse that syntax yet. Good show, sir. Let's continue making life as hard as possible for humans while not even making a blip of inconvenience for the machines we're trying to thwart.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Clearly no spambot has been updated to parse that syntax yet. Good show, sir. Let's continue making life as hard as possible for humans while not even making a blip of inconvenience for the machines we're trying to thwart.
    The inconvenience was intentional. It was meant as a subtle point that he is a Gentoo Developer, not an open invitation to harass him.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Udev is a critical linux component. Systemd is quickly becoming one as well. However I have no flipping idea why udev is merged under systemd's tree in the first place. What benefit to this action am I overlooking?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryao View Post
    Ask greghk AT gentoo DOT org why he gave maintainership to Redhat employees in the first place. As far as I am concerned, it should have stayed within Gentoo.
    I don't think Kay worked for RH back when Greg stopped co-maintaining udev.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
    I don't think Kay worked for RH back when Greg stopped co-maintaining udev.
    You are right. He worked for Novell. I was unaware of this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •