No announcement yet.

Netflix Comes To Linux Via Silverlight On Patched Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Their problem is, they have to make sure the copyright is protected? So people cannot copy or do anything with the movies/series on the computer but watch it until they decide to delete it again.

BBC uses flash to do that... which works fine on Linux. Not sure, how much MS paid them to use their Silverthingy...

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      they aren't being assholey. they don't write software for charity. if it made dollars, they would do it. they aren't just gonna support it because of GNU morality. not to mention that linux support is a nightmare of different distros with different versions of the same upstream software. it is much harder to track bugs for say debian kde vs. arch with lxde. they have different libraries with different versions of pulseaudio, gtk+, qt4, glibc, gcc, x.org, mesa. i remember avast having different bugs on different versions of ubuntu, but working fine in rhel and debian.
      Same argument can be applied to Steam... it doesn't hold much worth and you can use it freely on a variety of discussions.

Comment

And the solution is.... "yum remove wine*".

They can keep their DRM CRAP.

Comment

Netflix idiots

Omg, how can Netflix be so stupid to use Silverlight?
          It is only microsoft.com and netflix that use Silverlight, LOL!
          Nobody wants that shit!

Also, why don't they use Flash too, it sucks as bad as Silverlight, probably worse, but at least its widespread.

Who was the idiot in charge at Netflix who decided that they should use Silverlight?
          And how much did he get payed to make that idiotic decision?

Comment

ThePirateBay

Also, why should I pay AND get DRM and being limited to Windows and Silverlight?
            That is getting fucked in the ass twice or thrice!
            You're paying to get fucked in the ass.

No thanks, I'll just use The Pirate Bay instead and get movies free, fast, convenient and without DRM. Play it at any device, at any system, at any time. Anywhere, whenever.

Comment

In North America...

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Also, why should I pay AND get DRM and being limited to Windows and Silverlight?

No thanks, I'll just use The Pirate Bay instead and get movies free, fast, convenient and without DRM. Play it at any device, at any system, at any time. Anywhere, whenever.
              In North America they pretty much have no choice.

and drop the dirty language, does not help anyone

Comment

Originally posted by damvcoool View Post
                In North America they pretty much have no choice.
                I guess you mean in Soviet North America.

Comment

Yep, I don't understand this either.

Comment

Exactly this, I wish these companies would realize how fucking stupid and draconian drm is. here are the facts:

Movies get leaked whether streaming services like netflix have drm or not, it does absolutely NOTHING to prevent movies and tv from leaking. 5 minutes after a tv show airs I can torrent it in 720p, there's no fucking reason to put limitations on the people that are actually PAYING to stream.

DRM only limits the paying customers. A pirate can easily pirate any movie or tv show in hd quality, and watch it with no restrictions on any device they please, and can keep the movie as long as they please. A paying customer has to jump through more hoops. Even more so if they are on a platform that isn't "DRM-blessed", such as linux.

You want to make things as convenient as possible for paying customers. Don't impose pointless restrictions, don't restrict what platforms they can use to watch things. If I could natively stream netflix as easy as it is in windows, I'd be glad to pay for it. As it is now there's no way in hell I'd pay for it.

They need to adapt their business models to the digital age, instead of lashing out like a fish out of water.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

They need to adapt their business models to the digital age, instead of lashing out like a fish out of water.
                      Agreed.

And Silverlight? Who uses that? Lol.

I get that Netflix are under pressure from the media companies to "protect" their products but surely there's a better way than freaking Silverlight. Unless M$ are throwing some $$$ in on the side.

Comment

Working...
                      X