Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa installation on Linux

Hi,

I am trying to install and use VTK on my 32-bit linux machine (EC2 instance on AWS).
    I was getting an error which i realized was because I did not have openGL/Mesa installed on my machine.
    So i installed Mesa using the following command: sudo apt-get install mesa-common-dev
    Now, I dont know where mesa is installed on my machine. There is no folder 'mesa' in /usr/lib/ and there is no libGl.so anywhere.
    Can anybody please tell me how to proceed further?

Thanks,
    Shripad D

On my system (Ubuntu 12.10) the OpenGL loader is in /usr/lib/x86-linux-gnu/mesa** if that helps... file name is libGL.so.1.2.0 so an exact match might miss it.

That said, I think the mesa-common-dev package contains what you need to write OpenGL applications, not the mesa driver itself. Hold on a minute and I'll try to find the right package.

EDIT -- OK, for Ubuntu the libgl1-mesa-glx package contains libgl.so while the libgl1-mesa-dri package contains the hardware accelerated drivers.

** /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa for 32-bit
    Last edited by bridgman; 15 November 2012, 05:36 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      On my system (Ubuntu 12.10) the OpenGL loader is in /usr/lib/x86-linux-gnu/mesa** if that helps... file name is libGL.so.1.2.0 so an exact match might miss it.

That said, I think the mesa-common-dev package contains what you need to write OpenGL applications, not the mesa driver itself. Hold on a minute and I'll try to find the right package.

EDIT -- OK, for Ubuntu the libgl1-mesa-glx package contains libgl.so while the libgl1-mesa-dri package contains the hardware accelerated drivers.

** /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa for 32-bit
      Thanks for the reply, but I am still unable to locate the mesa directory. It is not present in either of the locations you mentioned.
      Can you tell me how to install it manually, I tried doing that but I am unable to build using ./configure.
      If you can help me get precompiled libraries for mesa, that would be great too.

Thanks,
      Shripad D

Comment

Did you install (or remove and reinstall if already there) the two additional packages I mentioned ?
        Test signature

Comment

Did you install (or remove and reinstall if already there) the two additional packages I mentioned ?
          I am so sorry I wasted your time, I was trying to look for that folder without installing the package.
          I have the libGL.so.1 now, I can proceed further with VTK installation.
          Thanks a lot for your help and sorry again.

Thanks,
          Shripad D

Comment

No problem. When I read my earlier post it wasn't very clear at all that you should try loading more packages. Glad you have the lib now.
            Test signature

Comment

Hi Bridgman,
              After giving the command, I now have libGL.so.1, but I also need libOSMesa.so and GLUT to run VTK, can you tell me the commands for that.

Thanks,
              Shripad

Comment

Looks like libOSMesa.so is in the libosmesa6 package. Try freeglut3 for GLUT.

BTW I'm just doing google searches for (eg) "ubuntu quantal libosmesa.so" then poking around the Ubuntu pages which describe what is in each package, so take all these answers with a grain of salt
                Test signature

Comment

Looks like libOSMesa.so is in the libosmesa6 package. Try freeglut3 for GLUT.

BTW I'm just doing google searches for (eg) "ubuntu quantal libosmesa.so" then poking around the Ubuntu pages which describe what is in each package, so take all these answers with a grain of salt
                  i installed both those packages, I find libGL.so in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/ and I find libglut.so in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ but I dont see libOSMesa anywhere. Any idea where is might be?

Comment

Got libOSMesa too in the same folder, I think i missed it coz of the number of library files in there, thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X