Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Steam License Causes Linux Packaging Concerns

Phoronix: Valve's Steam License Causes Linux Packaging Concerns

Valve's initial roll-out of their Steam client for Linux is all centered around Ubuntu. With Ubuntu having the largest market-share on the Linux desktop, Valve is focusing upon proper Ubuntu support as their first priority. In the days that the Ubuntu/Debian package has been available of the Steam Linux Beta, it's already been reported to work on other Linux distributions. Some Linux distributions have also begun to package the Steam Linux binary for their own platforms, but now there's some concerns about doing this, at least from the Arch Linux camp...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

edit:wrong thread

Comment

What a FUD. You should mention "Arch Linux" in the title of the article, but it wouldn't be so scary, would it?

Comment

can you PLEASE avoid to say in every Steam news that Gabe hates Windows 8?

Comment

I tend to think that Steam has ZERO business being in Archlinux's Official repos. It should have been in the AUR, instead. By having it in the Arch User Repository, it could be downloaded directly from valve and then the .deb extracted, installed + any postinstall stuff via the PKGBUILD.

I'm actually quite surprised Steam would even be considered for the official repos, What's next having AutoDesk Maya 2013 in the official repos? lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
            I tend to think that Steam has ZERO business being in Archlinux's Official repos. It should have been in the AUR, instead. By having it in the Arch User Repository, it could be downloaded directly from valve and then the .deb extracted, installed + any postinstall stuff via the PKGBUILD.
            This is exactly what i thought when i first read the blog entry.

Comment

goddammit i was in the middle of installing Arch and was excited to try out steam but i guess I'm too late.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                goddammit i was in the middle of installing Arch and was excited to try out steam but i guess I'm too late.
                You don't need Archlinux to try Steam. chances are that you can just extract the .deb, have a look through it's contents (ie: look at the dependencies, as you will have to manually install them. look at where all of the files are placed on install and look at the postinst for post-installation commands that will need to be run) and install it yourself (on whatever distro you are using).

I haven't bothered with Steam, but that is exactly how i got Lightworks to work (which like steam is being tested in Ubuntu and thus is using .deb). But getting it to work outside of Ubuntu took very little effort.

Originally posted by glasen View Post
                This is exactly what i thought when i first read the blog entry.
                Ya, it makes no sense that Valve Steam would be in Archlinux repos. It obviously should be in the AUR (where it belongs!).

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post

I'm actually quite surprised Steam would even be considered for the official repos, What's next having AutoDesk Maya 2013 in the official repos? lol.
                  It was in the AUR, but since many people voted for it, so it came into the repos. Whats your problem?
                  btw it is still in the repos and imo it should be kept there.

Comment

How dare commercial entities mess with the distribution specific, totally not the same as walled garden, approach to software distribution and packaging.

(the walled garden thing is meant sarcastically)
                    (Which means distributions are like walled gardens.)

Comment

Working...
                    X