Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 70

Thread: Canonical Releases Upstart 1.6

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Then dont pay for them. Stay away. It is free software not forced software.
    Free software backed by Red Hat == forced software.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    433

    Default Gentoo Forked Udev over Systemd

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/2262

    Seems that not everyone is happy with systemd.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,975

    Default

    Kinda-sorta derail:

    ryao, I see you're backing one of the two udev forks from the Gentoo camp. Could you list the differences between those? Why two forks?

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    Free software backed by Red Hat == forced software.
    Thats just stupid. Go read your rights at fsf.org. Only a neckbeard without his tin foil hat believes in collective suppresion enforced by evil forces.

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Kinda-sorta derail:

    ryao, I see you're backing one of the two udev forks from the Gentoo camp. Could you list the differences between those? Why two forks?
    As I have told others, including those that work on Debian and Ubuntu, that was not an official project announcement. I wrote that email to preempt a policy decision by the Gentoo Council that would have negatively affected the goals of our nascent project. A consequence of doing fully open source development is that with the exception of issues involving the security of our infrastructure, all of our internal emails are public.

    To address your question, our primary goal is compatibility. Previous conversations between one of the existing Gentoo udev maintainers and the udev brain-damaged udev developer(s) showed that they are not willing to make as strong an effort toward compatibility as we are. The decisions that they have made would give us more work as we work toward our first release. We hope that the two efforts could merge in the future, but we have higher priority goals for our first release.

    I could say more, but I am going to say to wait for our official announcement.
    Last edited by ryao; 11-16-2012 at 01:23 PM.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,975

    Default

    Could you elaborate on what you mean by compatibility?

    Compatibility with systemd? With the kernel? With old udev versions?

  7. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by compatibility?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Compatibility with systemd?
    With the udev part of the freedesktop repository where systemd is hosted, not the systemd part.

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    With the kernel?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    With old udev versions?
    Yes.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Thats just stupid. Go read your rights at fsf.org. Only a neckbeard without his tin foil hat believes in collective suppresion enforced by evil forces.
    "udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we can drop that support entirely." -- Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

    I know it can be forked (luckily Gentoo devs already did it), but you never know what comes next.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,975

    Default

    I haven't yet found which of those did the braindead fork's people disagree with, but I suppose it'll get clearer soon.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    "udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we can drop that support entirely." -- Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

    I know it can be forked (luckily Gentoo devs already did it), but you never know what comes next.
    Go with the fork. No one is forcing you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •