Skype 4.1 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
    I am sure you are about to provide us links to the tons of significant commits made by Valve ... oh wait there are none. *facepalm*
    sure thing, whatever you say

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

while those are indirect (so far) but at least they are to parts of system that directly benefit regular users, unlike virtualisation

I like my graphics accelerated, even if it's just for compiz

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Except I'm using it right now as we speak. What they are saying is that they can't support it as a standalone protocol. But it's already supported via an integration package, through both X11 and DBus protocols, when the Skype client is running in the background ("silent mode"). It's less than ideal, and for some people most likely pointless, but personally I'd rather use a single interface than two separate ones.
      Heh, well, I was not aware you could run skype in a headless mode as a "service" and pipe it around. Honestly... that seems pretty redundant and backwards, so I think my point and link still stand as valid

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        So why doesn't Valve do so? Heck even MS can supply a generic package. They can port their Steam client, port their engine but not take what amounts to being a junior intern job of packaging.
        I hope you understand that the native steam client is just in an early beta stage, and that Valve has already stated that they're open to supporting other linuxes when the beta is over, right? Also, I believe this article was about the new skype for linux package.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
          Heh, well, I was not aware you could run skype in a headless mode as a "service" and pipe it around.
          Not only that, but it seems that this is going to be the longterm way to have Skype run on weird platforms.
          The whole idea behind SkypeKit is to have a daemon running which only handle the back-end, and then have the actual 3rd party software communicate with it.
          Eionrobb, the author of the skype plugin, is looking how this could be achieved with respect to the licensing of SkypeKit.

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
          Honestly... that seems pretty redundant and backwards, so I think my point and link still stand as valid
          Some people just like to have everything in the same software. I personally have all my contacts in pidgin, no matter what network they use (GTalk and other jabbers, ICQ, WLM, Skype, etc.)
          So the skype4pidgin plugin is far from useless.

Comment

Working...
          X