Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 4.8 Has More Optimizations

Phoronix: GCC 4.8 Has More Optimizations

The GCC 4.8 compiler when released in early 2013 will have a number of new optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice...

I like flto optimisation adn cleanup, likewise wrt to linking, also steamroller support...

I have a bunch of packages that I just couldn't compile with -flto under gcc-4.7.2 because at final linking compiler croaked with error report of multiple definition of some symbols and missing others...

I hope 4-8.0 comes with that stuff sorted out...

Comment

What?​fgregergesrger

Comment

Tough one... Name suggests instant spambot, but the posts are semi-coherent and even on topic.

I say it's an advanced AI.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
          I like flto optimisation adn cleanup, likewise wrt to linking, also steamroller support...

I have a bunch of packages that I just couldn't compile with -flto under gcc-4.7.2 because at final linking compiler croaked with error report of multiple definition of some symbols and missing others...

I hope 4-8.0 comes with that stuff sorted out...
          Yes, the multiple definition/missing symbols should be solved by the partitioning rewrite. It would be nice to give a try now and fill in bugs. -flto still suffers from relatively low user base and thus low test coverage.

Not all missing symbols are GCC bugs however. ASM statements using global vars/variables needs an annotation to let compiler know that the vars/functions are used. This works w/o LTO (and w/o -fwhole-program) just because compiler has to assume that every externally visible var/function is used.

Comment

Working...
          X